Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Obstacle's Nano Cube

Featured Replies

New tank time! I've just picked up my 400mm rimless cube in starfire/low iron glass with black silicone. Greg did an amazing job and I'm really impressed with how good the black looks on the edges of ultra clear glass. I've just put the first coat of black paint on the back pane (and base in case I go without sand) so I'll take some pictures when it's dried and I can set it up in it's new position in the lounge.

I've ordered a Hydor Slim Skim Nano skimmer from the US and a DIY LED kit from AquaStyle Online which should all arrive this week. I already have a nano sized wavemaker which will have to do for the time being but ultimately I'll upgrade it to something a bit more powerful.

At the end of the week I'll be scaping with the live rock and sand from my first attempt in preparation for picking up a pair of clowns and their anemone on the weekend. It's going to be tight but should all come together at the last minute. Exciting times! :thup:

  • Replies 97
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Which LED kit did you get?

I am thinking about changing to LED myself.

I ordered the 36 LED kit from aquastyle. I think I'll end up using 20 LEDs all up though. They're 3w bridgelux chips and I went 50/50 royal blue/white. I've ordered 2 UV bulbs which I'll mix in with the whites as well but will have the blues and whites on separate drivers so they can be dimmed and turned on/off separately. I'll turn 2 or 3 of the left over blues into a moonlight with a spare driver.

In other news - the paint is dry on the tank. Just doing the second coat on the surround I've made for the base to hide the poly. Should have pics up tomorrow. I expect to fill it by Friday.

  • Author

Turns out my current LED light unit fell into the current tank over night. Not exactly sure what damage it's done to the tank but I'll be starting the cube with all new NSW because of it. Damn it!

I have a spare LED unit exactly the same so I took it apart to see if there was anything in it that might have poisoned the water but there's nothing other than wires/circuitboard/leds so unless something leached out of the PCB it should be ok. I'll be rinsing everything tomorrow and moving to the new tank early...

  • Author

your wish is...something, something, etc.... :D

The cube in all it's glory. I painted it with gloss black instead of matt black as the silicone looked glossy. I really like the black base. oh, and the lid is temporary.

img8534x.jpg

and here's the view from the couch through the cube, the bird cage, the dog bed and the lounge tank into the kitchen beyond.

img8535f.jpg

I hope everything else gets here by the weekend...

  • Author
:hail::hail: thats going to be a nice wee setup.have you decided on what are you going

to have in there.. :spop:

Thanks :) I'm picking up a pair of clowns with their anemone on the weekend all going to plan. If the skimmer and lights don't get here on time I'll see if the seller can keep them for another week. Other than that I might add a cleaner shrimp and a hermit at a later date. I've got a pink leather that's not doing well in the current tank so I'm hoping the extra light and skimming in this tank will pick it back up.

:rotf: :rotf:

ill be keeping a eye on this one..see how you go..on this..

what type of bird is it..do you let it out of cage..and have you taught any naugthy words.. :gigl:

  • Author

ill be keeping a eye on this one..see how you go..on this..

what type of bird is it..do you let it out of cage..and have you taught any naugthy words.. :gigl:

I've been quite happy with my other nano so far. I just ignored it and it went well :) There are 2 cockatiels in there. They don't talk but they wolf whistle.

what are you going to use as a lid?

It's going to be open top so nothing :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.