Update: Frogs fed to arowana - PM REPLIES

henward

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's slightly OT, but I'm intrigued to know if there's anyone here that feeds mice to their arows? I know of a place in TGA that does it but it struck me as odd to feed a land animal to a fish - I hadn't heard of anyone doing that before (but then again, I know very little about arowanas).

As long as it's a quick kill (I'm personally not keen on things being left to die slowly) I'm OK with feeding (no idea about how poisonous they are, though), does anyone know if arows take pre-killed? I have no idea how you'd kill a frog humanely.

I'm way too late to this thread (so I'll hide away now) :digH:

There was a thing on TV a while ago about trout becoming a massive size somewhere down south by feasting on mice and I think I saw something about fish feeding on bats or small mamals that fell off trees into the water. Nothing strange about it. Bears in some locations feast on salmon so I guess this could be thought of as payback.

There was a thing on TV a while ago about trout becoming a massive size somewhere down south by feasting on mice and I think I saw something about fish feeding on bats or small mamals that fell off trees into the water. Nothing strange about it. Bears in some locations feast on salmon so I guess this could be thought of as payback.

yes that is true, i saw that ,they cut a trout open and it had 17 mice in it :o

it is a natural part of their diet

in the wild, ANYTHING that goes on the water is fair game to most canivores.

really its nothing unusual, but yes, trout in NZ are k nown to 'bloom' and get extraordinarily large when the mice are also in bloom, its when summers are hot and these particular trees produce more nut/berries than usual or something, beech trees perhaps? if i recall.

weather your ethics are for or against it, the fish will eat it and it has a benefit to them too.

perhaps a boost of calcium and protein.

was something on tv the other week about a mice plague that ends up swimming across water (annually i think it was) and the fish were feasting on them.

That actually makes a lot of sense now. I'm always learning new things about fish - I didn't know they'd even be able to eat mice (I like your theory about payback, alanmin :L).