Update: Frogs fed to arowana - PM REPLIES

henward

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory with live food:

Comes from sustainable source.

Can justify the use, ie benefit should ultimately outweigh the potential negative effects of not doing so.

Is humanely cared for, and disposed of when the time comes. I can see the frogs jumping around with legs missing, :facepalm: but that aside.

All good.

Problem.

yeah, it is something i can never explain..............

why can't you explain? if you can not explain, may be you can not justify, and deep down you know it is wrong?

i like watching it hunt different things man.

its something that some wont understand - if frogs prove to be a pain, i will just sell it cheaply to flog it off, dont really care.

No respect for the frogs, inhumane, borderline illegal, 100 years in prison for that. :sml2:

but like i said, you wont understand, its a personal thing ay, i just get a kick out of seeng it hunt different things.

i think you getting your kicks out of it is a sad reason for doing it.

its really a personal thing.

i cant explain because you cannot always bestow a sentiment and MAKE people see wha tyou see.

its not be all and all, all through out i am considering getting rid of the frogs as the hassle of keeping them is indeed a hassle.

no other reason to be honest, just the hassle.

the thread was about who has fed it to fish, not to be lectured on your sensibilities - and not to convert you to mine.

I would feed frogs to my fish if I was that way inclined, but tbh bugs and stuff achieve much the same result, plus I like frogs :dunno:

Its not inhumane IMO, just the food chain, the manner of which they die is the only part in question, and if feeding them to a fish is under scrutiny then you might as well be complaining that nature is wrong. If he was cutting the legs off then letting them die before feeding sure, that would be inhumane (fish wont rip legs off, will swallow whole).

I just wouldn't be bothered raising frogs to feed to fish, way too much effort for something so quick. I have had plenty of opportunities to feed skinks to my fish but I choose not to because I like them alive and a worm would achieve the same result.

I don't think you run any risk of disease from a frog though, but if someone is more educated on frog disease transmission then listen to them.

i understand what you mean

i too like to see a predator doing what it was designed for

i feed live food to our release to wild birds and some fish

personally i don't feed frogs to anything

the sound of their screams if the predator doesn't make a clean kill is not for me

i also like frogs too much :love:

i understand what you mean

i too like to see a predator doing what it was designed for

i feed live food to our release to wild birds and some fish

personally i don't feed frogs to anything

the sound of their screams if the predator doesn't make a clean kill is not for me

i also like frogs too much :love:

Ok now I can kind of see where you and henward are coming from.

You spend a few K on a fish and like to see how it hunts in the wild.

I was talking to some turtle people, and they too have their varied opinions on feeding frogs to turtles, of course it's sort of different though.

I too love frogs and I guess my opinion is biased because of this.

But to be honest, you may want to ask on an arowana forum or a frog forum to see if they are poisonous or harmful.

lol

asking in a frog forum if their frog is safe for live feed... bad news.

yeah look, what mark said, thats really it, i just couldnt put it so ..... nicely,

but i do enjoy predators hunting ... it gives them stimulation too. i find that when my arowana hunts vigorously, it is much much more active than feeding frozen mealsowrms, dead prawns.

Insects work yes, but i have a finite amount of them.

TO be honest, i am inclined to get rid of them as the care for them may seem a hassle, thats whats stoping me

but if no buyers then i will raise them and see then.

ill let you know how it goes in my trial, before i feed to my red, i am trialling first.

yes, correct, i am not gonna dismember them myself, it is a food chain thing, its just that some dont like it.

I have met people who dont want to watch a goldfish get taken out... but to me its just a gold fish and i see it as fish food.

anyways - i am trying to fob it off and just buy a bucket load of goldfish instead, but its not easy to sell. If it sells quickly then thats fine, if not then i will try it

hopefully the care for frogs isnt as much hassle as i hear it is from you guys

im not feeding mice, but frogs is part of their natural diet anyways.

its really a personal thing.

the thread was about who has fed it to fish, not to be lectured on your sensibilities - and not to convert you to mine.

fair enough didn't mean to lecture u in any way. just saying it how i see it. if i PM u it may never get read :sml2:

discussion is good, you love it, :digH: and a prod here it's good for the forum :rotf:

Take one large tabby..............

Lol. FEED IT! FEED IT! :happy2:

To me it makes more sense to feed an arowana an aquatic animal than feeding it a land animal, like a mouse. (not that i'd do either)

Frog is an aquatic animal. Arowanas feed on them in the wild. Arowana are large enough to have a range of prey so long as the prey is in/close to the water system.

It would be safe and easy to feed the tadpoles to your fish henward. Could be easier than exchanging them for fish?

yeah, may do that.

ill see how i go - im trying to do a massive array of food this summer untill winter, want the red to be 50 to 55 cm by winter next year and give a good feeding regime

frogs will add to its different type of protein intake, gutloaded, superfood:D

a frog with a few crickets, worms inside it.... good super pack lol

That was my point. I think it makes more sense to feed a frog than a mouse to an arowana (I do realise that henward isn't thinking of feeding mice)

I think he was at one stage, he was looking at feeding pinkies (new born) mice. I would've thought frogs are terrestrial, water and land?