Rosco's 350L build

rosco

Hey guys after loosing my 160L marine in the quake, I am now coming back harder with a bigger set up

will take you through my set up as im going if you have any suggestions im open to it and improvements. I will update every so often to let you know how its all going. So anyway to start it all off heres my 350L with 90L sump that has my skimmer which I plan to upgrade in the near future has a bubble trap then goes to the refugium section then into return pump section which is just an eheim 3000+ compact.

Heres my intial fill of the tank and then I flushed it out, just a bit of a leak test and also to wash any silicon residue.

cimg4632.jpg

A shot of the overflow pipe coming out of the tank, drilled it myself which was kinda scary at first but got there in the end.

cimg4636.jpg

Added substrate, its the seachem aragonite sugarfine substrate, I am wanting to go DSB with this just dont have the money right away to buy the rest of it but heres the pic of it with the salt added also.

cimg4638h.jpg

Pic of the skimmer doing its part down in the sump its just a reef octopus one from my previous setup still runs well 400L rated but to be honest wants to be ideally double that, will do for now however, atm just skimming fine particles from the substrate. Added some rock which I had been cycling for a couple months in a seperate 80L container.

cimg4639.jpg

Painted the back of tank and substrate has finally cleared alot heres a couple pics.

cimg4653x.jpg

cimg4654v.jpg

Return side of the sump pumping back up into the tank.

cimg4656m.jpg

Skimmer side again.

cimg4657p.jpg

Full shot of setup.

cimg4658i.jpg

This is my adjustable returns can direct them anywhere in the tank :wink:

cimg4659q.jpg

Cheers guys let us know what you think so far.

Rosco

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking good so far, the drain pipe is set quite low inside the overflow box, is there a reason for this or is there additional plumbing we cant see inside the box? like a durso or something? is the overflow quiet?

Yeah mate it has a pipe going up to the top sorta sets the level, it is reasonable noise im used to it but wouldnt mind quietening it down alot, any ideas?

thanks for comments so far guys :P

Just a quick update, some new pics, week 1.

Some diatoms starting to settle on the rock.

cimg4703.jpg

Sideview, will be growing that macro algae down in sump/refugium once my

light arrives.

cimg4710.jpg

Sideview from other side.

cimg4709r.jpg

Diatoms starting on rockwork.

cimg4708.jpg

Greenstar polyps and candycane coral.

cimg4707.jpg

Leather Toadstool and Green button polyp.

cimg4706.jpg

Frogspawn.

cimg4705zm.jpg

Yeah that's what I thought too. Did you use live rock?

The rock has been in a tub of heated and well circulated saltwater for over a couple months, so hence as soon as I added

the rock to the system there was virtually no amonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium and KH was fine and I even did a phosphate test it read there was

a little amount but im using tap water till I can get myself an RODI unit.

The rock has been in a tub of heated and well circulated saltwater for over a couple months, so hence as soon as I added

the rock to the system there was virtually no amonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium and KH was fine and I even did a phosphate test it read there was

a little amount but im using tap water till I can get myself an RODI unit.

so you started with cooked rock which now needs to become live rock

the diatoms are part of the process

you are putting phosphates into your system via the tap water

so you started with cooked rock which now needs to become live rock

the diatoms are part of the process

you are putting phosphates into your system via the tap water

Yup started with cycled rock, still saving for the rodi,

not alot of choice down here so its coming from filters.co.nz

I would rather not use tap water but, I dont have much choice for the next few

months anyways. Will keep light cycles to 6-7 hrs and will be getting that macro algae up

and running in sump in the next few days so hoping to not have an over kill of unwanted algae.

I am also running a UV down in sump and plan on gettin a lawnmower blenny to help out as a clean up

crew further down the line, as I havent come across any snails or crabs or "cleanup crew" down this way.

Also if any of you have any Chaetomorpha let me know, keen to get my hands on a bunch.

• 2 weeks later...