October 22, 201114 yr comment_458910 Hey guys after loosing my 160L marine in the quake, I am now coming back harder with a bigger set up will take you through my set up as im going if you have any suggestions im open to it and improvements. I will update every so often to let you know how its all going. So anyway to start it all off heres my 350L with 90L sump that has my skimmer which I plan to upgrade in the near future has a bubble trap then goes to the refugium section then into return pump section which is just an eheim 3000+ compact. Heres my intial fill of the tank and then I flushed it out, just a bit of a leak test and also to wash any silicon residue. A shot of the overflow pipe coming out of the tank, drilled it myself which was kinda scary at first but got there in the end. Added substrate, its the seachem aragonite sugarfine substrate, I am wanting to go DSB with this just dont have the money right away to buy the rest of it but heres the pic of it with the salt added also. Pic of the skimmer doing its part down in the sump its just a reef octopus one from my previous setup still runs well 400L rated but to be honest wants to be ideally double that, will do for now however, atm just skimming fine particles from the substrate. Added some rock which I had been cycling for a couple months in a seperate 80L container. Painted the back of tank and substrate has finally cleared alot heres a couple pics. Return side of the sump pumping back up into the tank. Skimmer side again. Full shot of setup. This is my adjustable returns can direct them anywhere in the tank Cheers guys let us know what you think so far. Rosco Report
October 22, 201114 yr comment_458912 looking good so far, the drain pipe is set quite low inside the overflow box, is there a reason for this or is there additional plumbing we cant see inside the box? like a durso or something? is the overflow quiet? Report
October 23, 201114 yr comment_458986 It's so good to see some of the ChCh fish keepers starting off again - I've noticed a few threads and comments lately in this forum. Wishing you better luck this time round. Report
October 23, 201114 yr Author comment_459012 looking good so far, the drain pipe is set quite low inside the overflow box, is there a reason for this or is there additional plumbing we cant see inside the box? like a durso or something? is the overflow quiet? Yeah mate it has a pipe going up to the top sorta sets the level, it is reasonable noise im used to it but wouldnt mind quietening it down alot, any ideas? thanks for comments so far guys Report
October 23, 201114 yr comment_459013 The blue background looks great, almost the same colour as the splashback in my kitchen which I got to remind me of the ocean LOL. how long does it need to be cycled before you start adding fish? Report
October 23, 201114 yr comment_459070 Yeah mate it has a pipe going up to the top sorta sets the level, it is reasonable noise im used to it but wouldnt mind quietening it down alot, any ideas? thanks for comments so far guys put a durso top on it with a pvc tee and elbow and a cap with a small hole in it. http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?q=adjustable+durso&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&nord=1&biw=1440&bih=743&tbm=isch&tbnid=jr0pIhSm3vFsyM:&imgrefurl=http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t234156.html&docid=gUmSJOlNr2BUQM&imgurl=http://oceanxstasy.com/XGallery/d/756-2/AirFlowSlit.JPG&w=640&h=480&ei=TIKkTqD8F8qTiQeHwPW2BA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=873&vpy=191&dur=439&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=107&ty=100&sig=116518092480934819249&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=34&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:0 http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/dursostandpipe.html\ Report
October 30, 201114 yr Author comment_460032 Just a quick update, some new pics, week 1. Some diatoms starting to settle on the rock. Sideview, will be growing that macro algae down in sump/refugium once my light arrives. Sideview from other side. Diatoms starting on rockwork. Greenstar polyps and candycane coral. Leather Toadstool and Green button polyp. Frogspawn. Report
October 30, 201114 yr comment_460036 You're stocking it so soon? Yeah that's what I thought too. Did you use live rock? Report
October 30, 201114 yr Author comment_460040 Yeah that's what I thought too. Did you use live rock? The rock has been in a tub of heated and well circulated saltwater for over a couple months, so hence as soon as I added the rock to the system there was virtually no amonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium and KH was fine and I even did a phosphate test it read there was a little amount but im using tap water till I can get myself an RODI unit. Report
October 30, 201114 yr comment_460072 results speak for them selves the corals wouldnt be open like that if they didnt like the water Report
October 30, 201114 yr Author comment_460078 results speak for them selves the corals wouldnt be open like that if they didnt like the water cheers man are you doing water changes? Im really only topping up, I havent done any water changes. Report
October 30, 201114 yr comment_460084 The rock has been in a tub of heated and well circulated saltwater for over a couple months, so hence as soon as I added the rock to the system there was virtually no amonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium and KH was fine and I even did a phosphate test it read there was a little amount but im using tap water till I can get myself an RODI unit. so you started with cooked rock which now needs to become live rock the diatoms are part of the process you are putting phosphates into your system via the tap water Report
October 30, 201114 yr Author comment_460086 so you started with cooked rock which now needs to become live rock the diatoms are part of the process you are putting phosphates into your system via the tap water Yup started with cycled rock, still saving for the rodi, not alot of choice down here so its coming from filters.co.nz I would rather not use tap water but, I dont have much choice for the next few months anyways. Will keep light cycles to 6-7 hrs and will be getting that macro algae up and running in sump in the next few days so hoping to not have an over kill of unwanted algae. I am also running a UV down in sump and plan on gettin a lawnmower blenny to help out as a clean up crew further down the line, as I havent come across any snails or crabs or "cleanup crew" down this way. Also if any of you have any Chaetomorpha let me know, keen to get my hands on a bunch. Report
October 30, 201114 yr comment_460094 what is happening in your system is the beginning of your tank cycling there is a good article on cycling rock and tanks by tHEcONCH who is down your way http://www.reefkeepers.co.nz/forum/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=1187 Report
October 30, 201114 yr Author comment_460095 No, that is incorrect. It has cycled it has the bacteria which is needed in order to break down ammonia and nitrites, the diatoms have occurred purely from adding lights to the equation. Report
October 30, 201114 yr comment_460113 Nice to see you back rosco, hard to prevent the algae/diatom outbreaks. I recall on my big tank setup, cooked the rocks for months and months, nice and white, but as soon as they get a bit of sun/light, away go the diatoms. Report
October 30, 201114 yr Author comment_460115 Thanks puttputt.yeah I def expect some to take ahold but like you say as it matures it should fade away :cofn: time is everything with this game but def better setup than I was pre quake. Report
November 8, 201114 yr Author comment_461043 what first looked like diatoms have now turned into long brown candyfloss like algae, im hoping thats just part of it all maturing and that it will die off? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.