My planted 33 litre community - April 2013 rescape pg 8

Sophia

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 12 CPDs but 4 are 'out' in the breeding tank at present. There are 2 darios. I'm thinking of moving the fry from the breeding tank in here so I can watch it grow and also they feed better when there is competition - currently it's milling about in the tank alone since it's brothers and sisters disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...

CPD fry and others eating microworms

Boss Dario ‘hunting’ microworms. The first one you see is the more deeply coloured male, he patrols the bottom of the tank. Then I go to find the other one, he's buried in the moss. He's eating too, then gets chased away by the first one even though the Boss doesn't hang out in the moss at all. He just likes to know he's in charge :gigl: .

Oh they look sweet but they have a temper and quite a personality. They also chase the CPDs for live food if it's hanging out of their mouths and it's something they want. Haven't seen anything more than a dart right up close which makes the other one move, haven't seen any biting thankfully. I still think they are what got the fighter but it's unproven :smln:

Note to Seth if you're reading, I have seen them going for dried food since you asked me about it. Only when hungry though, and usually when sinking to the bottom rather than taken from the surface.

Also I did move the lone CPD fry from the hatchery into here and it's doing much better than in the solitary tank.

Got some root tabs coming in the mail to see if I can wake those crypts up again.

Wow! I love your scarlet Badis. :nfs:

I have never seen this type of fish before. Who knew such a little fish could be so pretty! :hail:

Do you find they are easy to care for? I have been doing some research on tank requirements as I have a 40l I have just removed my guppies from. Its going to house 6-8 pygmy cories on the bottom but I was looking for a nice little fish to have in mid-level as well. Will defiantly be doing more research on these! :cofn:

They are semi-easy to care for - they are territorial so in a 40 litre tank I wouldn't have more than 2 or 3 at most. They also prefer live food over dried food, so unless you somehow get some already conditioned to dried you will rarely see them going for flake or bottom feeder food etc. Mine have been going for it rarely and only in the last few weeks.

The males are the ones with colours, I don't know how they behave when there are females, probably a bit more aggressive from male to male, but I've never seen the females available anyway. They'd probably be quite good with pygmies, they are compatible sizes anyway.

Yep they're good and once you get the hang of them they are easy to keep (I've killed a couple of cultures). I keep mine in a lunchbox inside a shoebox inside the fish cabinet so you can't smell them till I get them out and take the lid off.

Earlier in the week I took the log out to trim the moss as it was getting rather unruly and had some hair algae. When I put it all back I decided to put the log on the far right of the tank to give more planting space in the middle. What has happened is that the less dominant dario is not happy at all, it's like since I moved the log it's no longer his territory and he has nowhere to live so is hidden most of the time, I am not even sure if he's still alive :tears: . Am thinking of moving the dominant one downstairs for a while to see if he comes out to claim some territory but that could induce them to swap roles if killifish dominant male behaviour is anything to go by.

The java fern on the log has started to go a bit brown which was also not in my plan :facepalm: . I have put some root sticks in for the other plants though, and have a couple more plants coming so will post a photo at some point.

The fry I moved from the breeding tank is growing quite rapidly now too.

is it browning on the tips of the leefs.if so the should be starting to have little plant lets grown on it ...

it's not the same as when they die off to produce the young plant...

Still haven't seen the other dario. I'm giving him till tomorrow afternoon to come out and then I will have a look and see if he's wedged somewhere.

full tank shot - haven't decided whether to get something new for the gap or use one of the crypts Simon is sending me.

fulltankshotjan8.jpg

The Incorrigible Fiddler struck again - moss trimmed back to what is actually attached (it looks a bit greener in real life - don't be shocked, and a better picture of the java fern die back.

grotleaf2.jpg

Another pic of the java fern. It seems to be something to do with taking it out of the water, though I did all the trimming in a bucket so I could see it all as it would have been in the tank. It was tap water though, not tank water. The main large clump didn't get disturbed from it's spot, the stuff on the end was a baby that I wedged under a piece of fishing line. I thought it could be a lighting thing but Ice222's java/windelov fern has also done this - she has more plant-acceptable light than me but same water, so maybe it's to do with hardness. In any case if it doesn't perk up again after dying back I'll be getting some more.

grotleaf1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

One small update ....

I had taken a baby from the needle/narrow leaf java fern and put it under a rock on the left side flat rock. It's now attached itself so have done the same with a piece of ordinary java fern at the front. Also wanted to show Phoenix44 what the rocks look like now, they are blending in nicely where before they were quite pale.

rockscpdtank6feb2012.jpg