October 6, 201115 yr comment_456885 Do the cheap decapsulated brine shrimp eggs on TM hatch at all, even at a low rate, or are they only good as a food in their own right? Report
October 6, 201115 yr comment_456886 i don't know about the TM ones but i decap my own and they hatch alright no eggshells to deal with Report
October 6, 201115 yr comment_456905 i don't know about the TM ones but i decap my own and they hatch alright no eggshells to deal with Do you neutralise the Chlorine with Thios-phosphate? Report
October 6, 201115 yr comment_456906 The decap you buy is freeze dried and will not hatch. As LA has said you can decap your own but it only lasts a short time. (I think in the fridge in brine) Report
October 6, 201115 yr comment_456907 Do you neutralise the Chlorine with Thios-phosphate? no i just rinse well in freshwater when they change colour seems to work alright :dunno: The decap you buy is freeze dried and will not hatch. As LA has said you can decap your own but it only lasts a short time. (I think in the fridge in brine) yes in brine but i usually put straight in hatchery Report
October 6, 201115 yr comment_456937 I have been trying to get some from the guys in Tauranga but they wont answer their phones or return messages or texts so I might go with the South Island TM listing for hatching eggs. As you said its only $6 + shipping so it is worth a punt. The eggs I have now used to be good but over the last 2 years they are getting worse and worse till now I cant get more then about 20% hatch rate and most of the stuff I get is unhatched eggs. Decap is great food on its own right and if you "popcorn" it the fish go crazy for it. Report
October 16, 201114 yr comment_458166 Hi go on to TM and look for these people... gardfish i get my brine shrimp from them and have a great hatchery rate and they are very cheap for the amount you get and very easy to deal with hope this helps Report
October 17, 201114 yr Author comment_458197 Hi go on to TM and look for these people... gardfish i get my brine shrimp from them and have a great hatchery rate and they are very cheap for the amount you get and very easy to deal with hope this helps That is the person I just got some from Report
October 17, 201114 yr Author comment_458258 how are they going for you ? Ok, looks like only about 50% hatched, but it could have been too cold for them Report
October 17, 201114 yr comment_458270 we use a water heater in our hatchery and have it at 28 degrees Report
October 17, 201114 yr comment_458271 I suspect the saying 'you get what you pays for' is correct. IME the higher the price the better the hatch rate. Report
October 19, 201114 yr comment_458455 I got some this week too. They took longer than I expected to get back to me and then a week to ship them but all was forgiven when I hatched the first lot. I have never had brine shrimp hatch in such big numbers. Hardly any un-hatched eggs at all. On my first attempt with them I just put my standard 1/2 tsp of eggs in 2 ltrs of salt water and had many millions more live shrimp than I needed. After 3 feeds each in 3 fry tanks stocked with a few hundred fry I had to biff the rest in the community tank. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.