New tank help/advice needed

sorcha

I've just started a tank again, used to have heaps! They used to be 400L etc, this one is a Jebo 110L, I had it set up with 5 gold fish for a couple of months no probs then things turned to custard, had algae blooms etc, cloudy water, lost 2 fish. Assuming the tank hadn't cycled properly & had an ammonia spike.

Anyway I let the last few go in the pond & have started from scratch again.

This time I tried cycling with fish food only for 3 weeks, the ammonia gradully climbed, then Nitrite climbed then both back to 0 then nitrate slowly climbed to 10 as its supposed to. I used "cycle" too not that I believe in that stuff really!

Anyway I left it for another week, have planted it too. Yesterday added 2 kuhli loaches, 2 dwarf chain loaches & 1 zebra loach, all tiny. Probably not the wisest first fish for new set up!

Today ammonia has slightly risen. Fish yesterday were swimming erratically, today not really swimming but just sitting on the bottom, is that normal for these loaches?

Ammonia is virtually 0, hard to tell. Nitrite 0 & nitrate only 5.ph 7. I'm guessing it hasn't cycled properly??

What else can I do, water changes, hope for the best lol? I've ordered 3 dwarf puffers that are meant to be arriving next week..that was all I was going to keep in the tank..

I'm using bore water from outside hose, ph is low but rest of the tests were good. Maybe I'm just panicking over nothing but don't want to lose them.

Also using an undergravel filter, 2 x internal & one built in trickle filter. :nilly:

THanks, will do, Ammonia is reading 0. I'm starting to wonder if it's from using bore water??

I never had a problem before but used to keep cichlids, mainly aficans therefore if the bore water was hard they wouldn't have minded.

Does anyone know if bore water is hard? Have bought test kit on trade me but hasn't arrived yet..

I might have a go with the house/tap water & see if that makes a difference.

It could just be that they're fairly new to the tank and haven't settled in yet. Those fish seem to like being in groups, so that may be why they're less active. I'm not saying add more fish straight away, but maybe as you slowly add more fish in of the same types, they'll get more comfortable in the tank and start coming out/moving around more.