September 14, 201115 yr comment_454506 I just read about the Mapua aquarium burning down..... I'm gutted, it was awesome. I assume the fish are goners http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10751900 Report
September 14, 201115 yr comment_454507 Sad news, I really enjoyed the place the couple of times I visited Report
September 14, 201115 yr comment_454508 I was just listening to an interview with one of the firefighters. They say they don't know about the fish yet as they have not been able to get in but since the building is pretty much destroyed, I doubt any survived. &c:ry The last Aquarium World has pics from the Tasman/Marlborough fish clubs' recent visit. I have always enjoyed going there and it was one of the greatest little aquariums in the country. They have been lucky to save the rest of the buildings since most are all joined together! Report
September 15, 201115 yr comment_454589 It was a great aquarium, and it is sad that the fish have probably died. If they were right in saying it is a suspicious fire , I hope the catch who did it. Report
September 15, 201115 yr comment_454656 for all of you who are on facebook, please go this link and like this page. lets see if we can get enough support to get the Mapua Aquarium back up and running. Lets convince everyone that it NEEDS to be rebuilt. :happy1: Its such a loss for everyone. &c:ry http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/LIKE-if-you-think-they-should-Re-Build-Mapua-Aquarium/288680697814324 Report
September 16, 201115 yr comment_454672 and on a slightly happier note: Phoenix, the red-eared slider turtle, was pulled alive from the ashes of yesterday's devastating aquarium fire in Mapua by two Nelson firefighters, and is already being hailed as a symbol of hope for the future of the aquarium. The turtle, nicknamed Phoenix by aquarium owner Murray Goss, was the sole survivor of the fire that razed the Touch the Sea Aquarium. The turtle was found "unharmed and quite perky" by senior firefighter Kevin Douglas, of Nelson, and firefighter Jarod Spencer. "I looked in the tank and saw it move its head and look up at me," Mr Spencer said. http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/cutestuff/5638330/Turtle-perky-despite-ordeal Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.