September 11, 201115 yr comment_454018 on my marine tank i have an overflow which is connected to a hose which leads to the sump.. if i turn the power of the pump up on the one that leads to the tank it makes a gurgling sound..so i have to have it on a low l/hr... how do i stop the gurgling sound ?? thanks Matthew Report
September 11, 201115 yr comment_454034 show us a photo so we know what we are dealing with here there a few types of overflow and each type has tricks to make it quiet Report
September 11, 201115 yr Author comment_454062 ok...will do tonight, it is one of the ones with a glass sheet about 2/3rds uo the tank..the water flows over the sheet,through the tube into the sump...it is in the corner...i think they are called a corner overflow or something? Report
September 11, 201115 yr comment_454066 I know the gurgling sound that you're talking about. I haven't found a solution for mine yet and I'm not sure there is one. As far as I can deduce, the gurgling sound is caused by air getting sucked into the pipe when the water rushes in. After a little while you kinda get used to it haha. Report
September 11, 201115 yr comment_454078 I have seen people put air line tubing inside the pipe to allow the air through, that is if it is the water going down the pipe that is making the sound Report
September 12, 201115 yr Author comment_454149 yep..its water going down the pipe thats making that sound as far as i know, so do i just chuck an airline tube in the hose so air can get through it? Report
September 12, 201115 yr comment_454150 I think you will find this link useful http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ Report
September 12, 201115 yr comment_454279 something like that. I can't find the youtube vid but It was giving the air an alturnative route. so you may need a slightly larger pipe/ more than one airline tube sticking out the top and bottom. I can't remember exactly though but if you have some lying round it is worth a try Report
September 13, 201115 yr comment_454287 I think you will find this link useful http://www.dursostandpipes.com//quote:2khskipj best solution Report
September 13, 201115 yr Author comment_454315 picture as i said i would...sorry it a rubbish,quick shot.. i will purchase an airline tomorrow if i need to,as i would not like to spend a lot of money to fix it. Report
September 13, 201115 yr comment_454323 I'm not surprised that's noisy. The water will be falling a foot or two there because you don't have a standpipe, it'll be a constant waterfall. Put a durso in and you'll cut a HUGE amount of noise out. Report
September 13, 201115 yr comment_454326 yeah like ira said but that wont cause a gurgling noise. so its only half the problem how many holes are drilled foin the back there? if its 2 your in luck Report
September 13, 201115 yr Author comment_454328 yeah like ira said but that wont cause a gurgling noise. so its only half the problem how many holes are drilled foin the back there? if its 2 your in luck there is one hole which the tube is in if that is what you mean...my tank is only 1 ft tall so it is not the sound of the fall that i am hearing.. Report
September 13, 201115 yr comment_454346 If you had a pipe coming at least half way up the overflow space you'll find a huge reduction in the gurgling sound. Report
October 17, 201114 yr comment_458221 Yep durso standpipe will fix this prob for sure, great invention, very easy to make :thup: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.