August 7, 201115 yr comment_449745 and it is cool but having to wait to set it up is not so much. I bought it from MrHW as his birthday present. I feel I need a medal for being such an awesome GF. :happy1: Report
August 7, 201115 yr Author comment_449752 Yes - I imagine so... we have already been discussing gravel and the simple stuff. I think there will be a lot of research about what looks the best etc. Report
August 7, 201115 yr comment_449758 is this for him to setup the way he likes or is it going the way you want it to be... :digH: :spop: :gigl: Report
August 8, 201115 yr Author comment_449862 Its a Jewel Rio 240, I want to set it up as a new home for my Gouramis + a few friends. Miss HW wants Angels and something bright and colourful like the dwarf cichlids. Perhaps I could mix the two as the require similar water chemistry. Ideas anyone? Report
August 8, 201115 yr comment_449863 What size is the tank? I have angels with dwarfs and they get along fine as long as they get their own space Report
August 8, 201115 yr Author comment_449864 approx 240 Litres. External dimensions 121x41x55. I have just been reading that maintaining a black water aquarium is alot more work, does anyone else agree? Report
August 8, 201115 yr comment_449877 I used to have gourami and dwarfs in my rio 240, its an excellent tank for it, I didn't notice any extra work needed for a blackwater tank either Report
August 8, 201115 yr comment_449881 I wouldn't have thought a black water tank would be more work? Everything is the same apart from the water which does it all by it's self Report
August 9, 201115 yr Author comment_449910 I was reading that the low PH affects the BB colonies requireing more frequent waterchanges and monitoring of the water conditions Report
August 9, 201115 yr comment_449911 4. Filter bacteria work best in hard, alkaline water conditions. In very soft and acidic water, filter bacteria may not work at all, forcing the aquarist to use less efficient methods of filtration, such as the use of zeolite. hmmm... I recently had a filter cycle again after being set up for a year, after I changed to a very soft, blackwater type arrangement. This might explain a LOT. Report
August 9, 201115 yr comment_449912 That being said, ammonia is alot less toxic at an acidic pH, in hard alkaline water its very very toxic to fish. So either way, taking awhile to cycle shouldn't matter. Report
August 9, 201115 yr Author comment_449936 Any tips to setting up a blackwater aquarium, what type of substrate, use of peat etc Report
August 9, 201115 yr comment_449943 I would recommend a light coloured sand or fine gravel. Peat would need to be in a stocking positioned near a pump outlet or in a low powered cannister filter. Oak leaves would also be a nice touch. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.