Labour Weekend in Napier

ajbroome

Hi Andrew and anyone else looking for a place to stay, You might like to try

Taradale Holiday Park

Budget Cabins & onsite caravans, 48 bed lodge, Tent sites powered, Villa accomodation.

Fax 06 8442 573 Phone 06 8442732

470 Golocester St, Taradale

I have been ringing them to see what they have for you but only get an answer phone. You might be able to send them a fax.

The above accomodation is only about 5 mins at the most from the Tamatea High School where the show is.

If you want me to ring around motels send us an e-mail

or private msg to Bruce log in on this site.

Hope this is some help to you late starters.

Folks,

Looks like the Palmerston North contingent will be much reduced

(if present at all) at the Napier Show/Auction etc. :( It got too

tricky to find a place to stay and due to other commitments in

the near future I've decided I'll probably not be there. I *may*

come up for the day, if I can.

Anyway, this means that I'll most likely be home over Labour

Weekend so if anyone is travelling near Palmerston North please

feel free to get in touch and call in.

If people are passing through on their way to Napier, I could

pass on some killies to donate to the cause.

Looking forward to being in Auckland in mid November though :)

Andrew.

Caryl said...

> What's happening in Auckland mid November then?

Oh nothing overly fish related (except a compulsory visit to

the better shops and catching up with the likes of Lawrence

Raffles). It's the NZ Carnivorous Plant Society show and

sale... Another way to spend money that would've been

used in Napier, you see ;-)

Andrew.

I left booking accomodation a bit late as well, I must have emailed over 20 places and was starting to lose hope when they were all replying 'sorry full', but luckily one had a 3 bedroom unit available that will sleep all 8 of us, so I was relieved!

What time are others getting to Napier on the Friday? Is anyone planning to do anything on Friday night? I'm not sure what time we will make it out of Wellington yet, so not sure when we'll get there :-?

I'm really looking forward to Labour Weekend now :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we have arrived home after a GREAT weekend in Napier. Well done to the Hawkes Bay club for organising it.

It was good to meet Fishroom members. I counted quite a few of them... me, Wink, Goldie, Cat, Ira, Warren, Busyboy, Andrew, Bruce, Julie, Janey (& mum Lyn), Mitch, Alan & Heather. There may have been more. Around 300 members of the public came to see the display too.

There were over 100 display tanks with quite a range of fishes - not to mention axolotls, eels, whitebait (free range, not pattied), turtles, crayfish, mussels, frogs, birds, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens & ducklings.

More than 60 were at the auction with 114 lots (and many of them were multiple bags of the same plant, or fish. Winning bidder could chose how many bags he wanted and leftovers were re-auctioned. $1790 changed hands.

We all had a great time and visited the Napier Aquarium (awesome place) did some shopping (some more than others) visited Hastings and went to Animalz petshop where they had some beautiful discus ($250 was a bit much for us though).

We went home via Palmerston North and visited Andrew and admired his killies and carniverous plants then wandered around drooling over the beautiful tanks in Wet Pets.

Wellington saw us visiting Dominique (Kapi-Mana) before driving back on the ferry (nice and calm crossing) for the trip home.

We are all very tired but happy campers.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :roll: home safely, only seeing three marked police, two mufti and one speed camera.

I can only agree with all Caryl said (she is right again :P:P)

A wonderful weekend with so much learned, the Hawkes Bay club did a GREAT job and the hospitality was grand. Thanks guys n gals. Well worth coming all that way for.

The aquarium is just something else and when our Texan club-member returns, a visit there will be a must.

So I will release the bristlenoses' that I bought at the auction now they have floated etc etc and I will put my feet up and have a cuppa.

I have to agree with the comments re the weekend in Napier.

Well organised auction with lots of goodies and efficient auctioneer and staff. 8)

Nice also to meet up with fishroom members both new and old ( as in previously known, not old by age).

We also saw lots of traffic cars and a speed camera.

Whilst I can only congratulate the Hawkes Bay Club on the time and effort they put into the whole show there was a down side personally. :cry:

I purchased 2 bags of "nannacara" a pair and 2 babies in one bag and 4 babies in the other. Much to my disgust when I went to collect these on Sunday it was discovered that some other person had decided they had a better right to them than I did. This was not only a kick in the guts for me but a very upsetting result for the local Club, for whom I have a lot of sympathy and thanks for the help they gave me.

I can only trust that this was not the actions of a CLUB member but the work of an outsider. :evil:

Mitch

P.S. If these dont turn up I would appreciate any information on where to get replacements. :-?

I bought 4 long fin danios, 2 bags of white cloud mountain minnows(About 25ish total), 4 baby jewel cichlids(grabbed 2 small and two really small ones) That's it as far as fish. Other than that I got 2 bags of cabomba and some crypt thing.

I hope everyone who attended had a great time, it seems so, the only hickup was Mitch's Fish from what I understand has been sorted out thanks to Alan Wakelin

We will have a meeting over the next week or 2 and decide if we are going to do this again, we have learnt alot with this one and hopefully it would be better and easier next time.

If we do this again it will be every 2 years,yearly would be too much work and I believe it could go a bit stale as well

My thanks go's to all of our club members who helped out in this event, in particular Les Riddell and Kevin Mawson who really took the bull by the horns when I dumped everything in their laps with a days notice when I had to make a rush trip to the US.

Thanks to all attended to make a great weekend, it is the people that make it :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have any suggestions or comments please let me know so we can make it better in the future

Thanks Everyone

Bruce W

President

HBAS

Others are saying that too Warren but, from the time we left Blenheim on the Friday morning, to the time we got back again late Monday night, we didn't see a single cop car. Of course, we may have had our photo taken but it hasn't reached us yet... :lol:

Goldie passed several on her way south but she was being a good girl and kept her MX5 to the limit.

I too got home safely,although a bit frustrated with the Gypsy Fair deciding to travel the Taupo - Napier hi-way, at times way down to 50k's /hour. I must have seen the rest of the cops in the Nth. Isd.

Probably close to twenty of them. No tickets YET tho.

Bruce, I got in touch with Chris, and he was adamant that he did not get those missing fish. A letter should be buzzing cyber space at the moment to confirm my findings. I also got Chris's Jordanella killis, he will get these come Xmas.

Congrats to the Hawke Bay Club, special thanks to Bruce, Julie, Les, Warren, Lisa and of course The Don. There were others, I am sure I missed, so thaks to you too for a special weekend.

But the biggest thank you, goes to mine host Ian and Yvette Mills, they have a bed available to me at the shortest notice, and it is actually called "Alan's Bed". Kewl guys.

Hope there is a follow up next year.

Cheers

Al

Folks,

Well, I made it back safely too (as various people from Taranaki

and the Sth Island can vouch :) ). Been off sick since though

which has been less than ideal, probably wasn't at my best on

saturday either. There wasn't anything in the auction that

interested the people I was with and since we had a two hour

drive ahead we left early. Would've been good to chat with

a few more people, sorry to those I missed.

Anyway, a good effort by the Hawkes Bay club. It was good to

see the long lost show stands being put to good use. I'm sure

that now they've been found they'll get used a lot more.

Andrew.