Thinking of doing a 1400L tank

myfishybuisness

ok well ive been think (dreaming :lol: ) for a while about doing a 2.4x 1 x .6m tank, i like my breeding but as im in my last years of school im getting quite busy with school and haveing trouble managing my 17 tanks , so i was thinking of cutting back to just 3, my two in my room, and a 1400L in my fish shed, of course i would need to sell all the tanks ,stands ,fish, equitment before i started but, i have a few questions about this new tank setup as im a complete noob with sumps and tanks large than 400L , so heres a few questions

1. anyone got a design of a sump i can see, and explain it?

2.my fish will be oscars, serverums, and a aro, what else could i have?

1. Yep, I've posted it many times, or check one of the build threads I made on MFK for pictures of it. Or come around and see it for yourself.

2. Depends on the number of each you're having.

And for the :sage: part...

You said you're 17 and in your last year of school. What are you doing next year? How much longer are you planning on living at home for? A tank of that size isn't an easy thing to move, especially with all the fish in it. Finding a house somewhere to put it is also difficult. I had a 5x2x2' in my bedroom while I lived at home, but sold it (and all the big fish) and downgraded to a single three foot tank for several years while I went flatting.

If you do decide to go for it I have two pieces of advice; read lots, and plan lots....

i thought you said you were going to get a 1600 L + tank ?? :roey:

it was going to be 1680l but i reduced the depth, as its just to deep to mantain

1. Yep, I've posted it many times, or check one of the build threads I made on MFK for pictures of it. Or come around and see it for yourself.

2. Depends on the number of each you're having.

And for the :sage: part...

You said you're 17 and in your last year of school. What are you doing next year? How much longer are you planning on living at home for? A tank of that size isn't an easy thing to move, especially with all the fish in it. Finding a house somewhere to put it is also difficult. I had a 5x2x2' in my bedroom while I lived at home, but sold it (and all the big fish) and downgraded to a single three foot tank for several years while I went flatting.

If you do decide to go for it I have two pieces of advice; read lots, and plan lots....

im nearly 17 and i have 1 year left after this one, so yeah, and i am planning on doing a marine bio degree after i leave school. so i have a couple of years left , and besides when i do leave home i will be leaving the tank in the shed at home until i get my own place, as my mum and grandad are into fish aswell, ( grandad has 30 tanks) and mum just like to watch mine, but i will have a look at your mosterfish build thread

:sage: Nearly 17 year olds shouldn't be allowed a 1400L tank!!!

No of course I don't mean that, I'm just jealous I don't have the space.

But good to hear that you seem to have a long term plan for the tank

me and mum have an argreement, i have only 2 nice ( have to be kept clean and healthy) display tanks inside, and i have what ever else in the fish shed, she doesnt care whats in my shed as its my space :thup: , but she LOVES :love: oscars and tryed to get me to have some oscars , so i said ill get 2 nice tiger oscars for the tank hence the oscars on the list of fish :roll: that way i have no problem with her :lol: 8)

i have them in my big tank..with plecs ....redtail gourami.....featherbacks royol ..bgk..

bala shark...flag tail....redhead...catfish..parrort faces....

1. anyone got a design of a sump i can see, and explain it?

looks at davids setup &mfk to get idears..

2.my fish will be oscars, serverums, and a aro, what else could i have?

i have them in my big tank..with plecs ....redtail gourami.....featherbacks royol ..bgk..

bala shark...flag tail....redhead...catfish..parrort faces....

Would be a great tank for a comm of L114s!!

As I said, do plenty of research and planning, if you're just going to have a sump for filtration its going to have to handle a fair bit of turn over. My two drains are only just keeping up with the flow from the Laguna 7500 pump, but there isn't much of a vertical drop because of the height of the tank either. Seriously consider an automatic water change system, in fact its a must-have with a tank this size. I still haven't got mine sorted, I think about it every week when I'm doing a 450L water change, there's plenty of time to think when you have to drain that much water! If I were doing it again I would also include several stages of mechanical filtration, first a settling chamber, followed by something with a couple of layers of filter wool that can easily be changed and thrown away, then the filter socks to polish the water. As it is now I have to change the socks every 3-4 days, even with the FX5 running on the tank.

As I said, do plenty of research and planning, if you're just going to have a sump for filtration its going to have to handle a fair bit of turn over. My two drains are only just keeping up with the flow from the Laguna 7500 pump, but there isn't much of a vertical drop because of the height of the tank either. Seriously consider an automatic water change system, in fact its a must-have with a tank this size. I still haven't got mine sorted, I think about it every week when I'm doing a 450L water change, there's plenty of time to think when you have to drain that much water! If I were doing it again I would also include several stages of mechanical filtration, first a settling chamber, followed by something with a couple of layers of filter wool that can easily be changed and thrown away, then the filter socks to polish the water. As it is now I have to change the socks every 3-4 days, even with the FX5 running on the tank.

Ok this is just a hair brain idea... has anyone tried coffee filters instead of filter socks? David I know you mentioned that they clog up fast and you have to wash them all the time.. A coffee filter you could just throw out every day and put a new in with very little cost.. Maybe too small?

think about it now, and i just ready you post on mosterfish keepers i might have to see if the floor would support the tank, so will think about the sump when i know its safe to have that tank in the shed, also i would be probaly using 2 x aquaone 2700 , so i think just a little change to you design and i will be good :thup: fingers crossed :o

Ok this is just a hair brain idea... has anyone tried coffee filters instead of filter socks? David I know you mentioned that they clog up fast and you have to wash them all the time.. A coffee filter you could just throw out every day and put a new in with very little cost.. Maybe too small?

Yeah I think they will be too small. This weekend I tried washing my filter socks in the washing machine as suggested by the guy from Napier Aquarium (no powder obviously, and gave them a rinse outside first) and they seem to have come out much cleaner. Maybe doing this will increase the frequency between changes? I think the coffee filters would be too restrictive for anything but a tiny tank, although they would be good to collect the very fine particles. I'm currently running 100 micron socks, if I had a better pre-filter I would consider running 50 micron or even 25.

But back on topic, Yes your timber floor will require some serious reinforcing for a tank of that size, even the tank itself will weigh 200kg+. Concrete slab would be the best option by far, but certainly not impossible to do with a timber floor. I'd seriously consider lifting the ply flooring (if possible) to make it easier to beef up the bearers and add more piles if necessary.

even with an acrylic tank your looking at the weight of a car. should be able to get the ply up without too much trouble. joists at 300 centres is a good start but you will almost certainly have to add piles and bearers (unless this sort of weight was designed for when the shed was built).

1400L of water = 1400kg

Plus the weight of the glass and the stand and the sump. My tank capacity is about 750L and I estimate the total weight on the floor to be about a ton. (No exaggeration when I say my tank weighs a ton! :thup:) But it's on concrete flooring so I sleep well at night.. :yaw2:

yeah, i was just pointing out that an acrylic tank doesn't get round the problem. while a concrete floor is certainly better, it is definitely doable with timber framing. many houses have multicar garages with timber subfloors.