Feeding my 1400L SA tank.

David R

Alright its not quite as watching a big armartus chase down a feeder, but I thought I'd take some pics of feeding time in my 370g South American tank. I feed a mix of flake, crumble and sinking pellets for the cichlids and plecs (as well as floating pellets for the aro). Most of the fish are mid to bottom feeders so I place a short length of PVC pipe in the gap between the lids and load all the food in there so it can slowly sink out rather than floating and spreading out over the surface. It didn't take long for the uaru to figure it out, they now immediately associate the pipe with food and will get up inside it to try pull it out. Not sure how they'll get on in a few months once they get too big to fit in there!

IMG_3698Medium.jpg

IMG_3705Medium.jpg

IMG_3706Medium.jpg

IMG_3741Medium.jpg

IMG_3715Medium.jpg

IMG_3783Medium.jpg

IMG_3808Medium.jpg

IMG_3842Medium.jpg

IMG_3848Medium.jpg

IMG_3893Medium.jpg

Thanks all.

Thomas, with the amount of food I chuck in there is plenty to go around. With 10 geos, 9 plecs, a pictus and 6 hungry uaru that have no objection to eating off the substrate I can chuck in massive quantities of food and not have to worry about it going uneaten and spoiling the water. There are three 2kg buckets under the tank, one is crumble and one is flake!

Fishybuisness, the tank is 2400mm long, 977 wide and 620 high. It was fairly cheap because Greg had a piece of tinted 12mm glass that was the perfect size for the base, thus the strange dimensions. I had asked for 900 wide originally but then asked how wide the glass he had was and decided it wasn't worth trimming 77mm off it.

Al, after getting a good close up look at the barbs on the rays in Richards tank in the UK, and at how rough and textured they are, I decided against the underpants method.

P44, I think the uaru would accept that challenge....