New Discus Breeding Tank

Vervo

Getting excited!

Picking up my 29 Gallon breeding tank tomorrow :D Got the tank made by Greg. (thanks!)

Going shopping tomorrow for a 200L heater. Probably get a Jager.

I have a large sponge filter ready and waiting.

Breeding cone on the way from Hollywoodfishfarm

This is what i'm going to use as a stand. Will sit directly opposite my community tank.

tank-stand.jpg

Im going to use 50% water from my community tank when i do a water change tomorrow,

and the rest from the tap. Will leave it for a while to cycle.

Will put more pics up as they come :D

Any suggestions for cycling the sponge filter? Its new and unused.

I am going to put 50% water from my main community tank into the new tank, then rest tap water, and maybe a heavy hit with cycle? Maybe a bit of fish food to get some ammonia to start cycling?

If you can separate some bits of filter floss from your filter and put that in the crevices of the sponge filter that should give it a head start. Leave it in your main tank for a few weeks to complete the cycle like David said, then remove the floss and it should be ready. :thup:

Got my tank! Looks excellent :D

Picked up a 300W Heater, was going to get the 200W but 300W was only around $4 more. Seemed worth it.

Got a new sponge for the sponge filter, which I have now set up in my community tank to run for a few weeks.

tankandlight.jpg

tankandheater.jpg

nice tank! looks great. it will work well. yeah cycle the new filter turned on (to get the oxygen through it).. it should take 2 weeks but cos it's prized discus we're talking you might want to go 3. how thick is the glass? also those 300w jager heaters are rated to handle up to 1000L!!!

Glass is 6mm, yea i know the 300W can heat a huge tank, however my apartment is extremely cold, average temp around 12 degrees lol. I was going to get 200W heater, but the 300W is only $4 more or so. So i thought why not. It will turn off when it reaches the correct temp. Probably be off for longer than a smaller heater, saving power :D

I'd be concerned about having a heavy weight in the centre of a stand like that, you might not be able to open the draws in a few months...

+1 - but you never know. I personally would have gone with a tank the maximum width of the unit so the down forces transferred to the vertical legs directly at the outer edges. Then again, it could be sweet. Don't worry about it, just be aware it could happen.

Nice tank by the way :)

I was kind of worried about this... i will be setting the tank up and monitoring it long before i put any fish in it.

Can anyone suggest a better stand option? Something thats not gonna cost me a fortune?

Cheers

Edit: i have tested this by standing on the middle of the stand, i weigh 80kg, and i would imagine the tank will be at least 120kg. With me standing on it, there is a small amount of 'sag', i will monitor it though, if it does crack, its not going to 'expload' is it? Id have time to move the fish and get a new stand?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again!

Well, we decided to buy a proper stand for the tank. Got it at the Animates sale.

Here is a photo (sorry for poor quality, again, iPhone 3 camera is not fun)

The sponge filter is well cycled now, been in my main tank for around a month.

The couple are loving the new tank :)

Tank-New-Stand.jpg

Discus-Boy.jpg

Discus-Girl.jpg

An update:

They have laid eggs again, had to remove the female since they where fighting so much,

and I'm yet to get separators. The male seems to be a better parent anyway. Obvesouly it will be

optimal to have them both in the same tank with the separator.

My GH and KH levels from my tap water seem great for breeding.

Here are my numbers:

Tank kH = 1drop x 10 = 10ppm x 0.056 = 0.56 degrees

Tank gH = 3drop x 20 = 60ppm x 0.056 = 3.36 degrees

They have laid eggs 7 times now. Yet to get wrigglers since 6 times was in a community tank and

ended up providing a nice snack for a few residents. So hopefully in a few days... !