NZ saltwater set up!

Brendan

has anyone out there tried a local salt water set up? i wanna give it a go. i assume i would need a chiller not a heater but apart from that what would be different? i dive alot so i have access to rocks and sponges, fish ect.

someone must have tried it. :D:bow: any info would be helpful. i have a 6X4 foot tank that i would use.

I had a local rockpool set-up running but didn't have a chiller so had problems with heat over summer. I just went to the rock pools, gathered critters, rocks and water and took it all home and put it in a 3ft tank with an Aquaclear 500 filter.

Most interesting tank we ever had. It was stocked with shrimps, anemones, sea cucumbers, triplefins, rockfish, brittlestars, starfish, hermit crabs, chitons and anything else we could catch. Every so often I would top the tank up with fresh seawater and add some sea lettuce.

yea i think ill definately do it. i mite even get a couple of crays! then wen i get hungy! hehe. yea i love diving so i want to be able to recreate it in my lounge, i think it should be resonably straight forward. i saw one set up at the mongonui fish shop 5 or 6 years ago and ive always had the idea in the back of my head.

Hi Brendan,

Will keep an eye on this post. Sounds a good idea. Have been pondering the idea myself. Mainly when i see undersized crays!! Wonder if you could get some kind of dispensation from MAF for a couple of small ones. Maybe a little snapper or two ?

Oh Welcome BTW :D

I think the dispensation you'd get from MAF would be something like, "Sure, no problem, what's your name, address and phone number? We'll send it out as soon as possible." And the next day you'll find two big ugly dOOds bashing in your door looking for undersize fish.

I once had a Muriwai biotope, and it did look good, had a heap of stuff but the most colourful was those beautiful anemones from the rock pools over there.

But it did suffer from high temp, eventually I released everything and made the tank a tropical.

There is a pool at milford beach that still has some of those anemones that I "planted" there. Been there a few years now, but not really prospering, like they do at Muriwai.

MY mate has one with 4 anenomes, a hawk like fish, 2 crabs , a snail.The anenomes are neat he got them from a pearl farm that closed down.they had show tanks with native NZ marine life that they were going to chuck if no one took them.He put them in a spare 800mm bev front tank he had and hooked up a canister filter and its been going like a dream.It is over 1 year old now and the only thing you have to replace is the fish and crabs as the anenomes are a bit nasty,but they cost nothing.

He dose not have a chiller and it has no problems.We have a lot of fun with this tank as it not so serious as a reef tank.

Hi Brendon

My seahorse tank has alot of rock pool animals in it (hermits, fish, snapper shrimps, glass shrimps, and anenomes) I am not suffering too badly with the heat this summer and have managed to keep the heat under 21 degrees in my tank by running a fan over the surface of my tank full time and if things look like they maybe getting too hot then putting frozen softdrink bottles in the tank as well.

In regards to the chiller, one of the guys had a link to a coral shop in the gold coast that gave detailed intructions about chillers and how to make one. Sounded intresting and worth a go. Will find the link for you

yeah i got a 5ft tank.

sitting in a sun room that hits 40degs, the tank goes up to 20deg and cools of to 17deg at night with a bathtub chiller. there is a thread way back called "homemade chiller" there i describe how i made it.

they are fantastic tanks i think, there is nothing like a beach in your home. even though the fish arent as colourful, the rest of the creatures are very colourful. and so are the different seaweeds. i collect my wildlife from the rockpools at port waikato. have/had a school of tiny sprats in the tank, awsome to watch but they are disappearing slowly, i think the cat is getting them. my tank is a year old now and is doing very well. just collecting water every couple months is a pain.

hope you enjoy your tank as much as i enjoy mine.

and dont put mussles in it, they will die. oysters and pipis do well, as do crabs and anenomies,

hey ppls, i am also thinking of setting up a cold salt tank soon :):):):)

and can also dive,but i havent done so much, so collecting specimens should be easy i guess...apart from the catching part :lol: ......

and as for colour on one of my dives i saw alil blue eyed tripplefin!!!! and it looked AWESOME!!!! so its a definate all go for my tank very soon i hope.. :D

i have an old 'kelvinator' fridge cooler i think i can setup under the house an throu the floorto the tank...so yea...

anyone kno abt these coolers please....?

cheers newt :)

Someone earlier this post mentioned "mussels dying off for some reason". This is most likely due to starvation - mussels are filter feeders, and need a near constant supply of diatoms and other food particles. A filtration system would deprive them of this quickly.

The other possibility is that a starfish ate them?