'Blue Eyes'

HummingBird

Hummingbird, I bought some of those a while ago (did you get them from Botany Jansens by any chance?)

If it is the same fish, it seems they are part of the rainbow family. They are known as the Australian/Pacific Blue Eye, and their Scientific name is 'Pseudomugil signifer'.

They come from northern and eastern queensland, and their close cousins are found in Papau new Guinea. They like a neutral pH apparently, and can do well in a tank with some salt in it, as they are known to be estuarine. The temp level should be between 20 - 28 degrees.

If they've got one dorsal fin then they may be a killi. If they've got two dorsal fins then they're a member of the rainbowfish family.

From what I can see they look like Gertrudes blue eyes (Pseudomugil gertrudae). Here's a picture of a good looking male:

P_gertrudae_Weipa.jpg

Image curtesy of Rainbowfish Online

There are different populations that have different coloured 'wings'. Females have smaller fins.

The gertrudes blue eyes pop up every now and then. For those clamering to get them - be aware that the picture is of a fish that all of 2-2.5cm long. Also the picture is of a male in full display mode. Seeing to males square off against one another is awesome, swimming around in a tight circle about one another, do fish get dizzy I wonder?

I'm assuming that because you are being so possesive over them you have found some :D or are we over possesng over nothing :o or maybe a picture :D

I have a lab coat and I'm sure we could find a special jacket that does up along the back and keeps your arms out of the way :lol: :D:o:D

B