Breeding Gold fish, comets what ever

henward

how easy is it to breed fantails or goldfish, those things called shubunkins coments etc.

i dont want a huge operation, merely a self sustaining programme like my locusts as live food.

can someonegive me a brief help on how to breed gold fish in a tank?

can i do it in a tank?

a big tank

you will need to keep the males/female separate for about a week. Tank will be fine and a big spawning mop or 2 floating from the top down in the breeding tank, you should be able to notice eggs after 2-3 days then either remove the parents or the mop whichever is easier. feed the fry on crushed flake or microworms etc...

Commets and Shubs are prolific breeders. From one spawning from a large female you will get a multitude of fry. You can raise them successfully in tanks but they do better in larger bodies of water. Feed the newly hatched fry on brineshrimp then when big enough transfer them to ponds, or in you case, tanks with established daphnia. Once big enough they can be fed on trout crumbles. This is how I have seen it done while working for the largest goldfish operation in NZ.

As mentioned above you will need to sex the males from the females but this can be difficult when not in the breeding season. Here is a useful link http://thegab.org/Goldfish/sexing-goldfish.html.

Condition them on good quality food (we used trout crumble).

Select the best quality specimens and introduce them to their breeding tank.

We used heaters to prompt them to spawn with a gradual temp increase.

Spawning media was solely tea tree branches arranged in a fan, Not sure why but possibly therapeutic qualities as this stained the water.

Spawning mops would be less labor intensive and less messy.

they will breed and eat the fry all on there own :thup:

some may survive, but best to take mops out and put in another tub. or fish out and leave the eggs to hatch i reckon

i use to have about 20 bath tubs, didnt take long to fill each tub with fry during the breeding season.

Young fish around 2yrs old are probably best. Males in breeding condition will also have spots on their pectoral fins. In a pet store the typically slimmer males may be chasing the plumper females. We used to use 2males to 1 female but others off here may have some other ideas :)