New Reptile Room

Jason22

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id go with polyurethane, just takes a good couple of weeks to go off/set (heat the room if you can) and air out .. . not sure if 100% safe but she be rite :slfg:

I painted my lizard enclosures with water based paint--non toxic and little fumes.

Thanks i was leaning to a water based polyurethane so thank you

The problem with trying to seal the MDF now is that you'll only be able to do the outside, so if there is any gaps the moisture will still get in. May not be a problem though, guess it depends how humid the room will be.

Yer this occured to me just after i had finished :facepalm:, but i think i will run a bead of silicone along all the joins.

I will have the extraction fans come on for a while daily so a lot of moisture will be blown out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got the measurements of the sink, so i could run the pipe and finish lining the walls.

DSCF1897.jpg

and put the front door in

DSCF1896.jpg

And this after noon had a crack at plastering the ceiling, witch when better that expected, it still needs another coat and sand so it will look better soon

DSCF1893.jpg

DSCF1895.jpg

How about coating the walls with an epoxy I'm currently helping to build a large plywood tank,several coats of epoxy resin and she'' be well watertight,cheaper and lighter than glass. Would be a big job,but would be worth it I reckon.

How about coating the walls with an epoxy I'm currently helping to build a large plywood tank,several coats of epoxy resin and she'' be well watertight,cheaper and lighter than glass. Would be a big job,but would be worth it I reckon.

Was going to use a polyurethane by Resene that is water based, non toxic and low fume. the one they recommend for babies cots.

Im not to shore exactly what epoxy is. it just a heavy duty polyurethane????

I asked Uncle Google,and this is one of the 1st sites I found.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/epoxy-resins-and-hardeners

It is basically like a polyurethane or varnish finish,however it's well waterproof,as I said,we're now building aquariums out of it,and it holds water no problem. You can colour it,by adding special colourings,or leave it clear.

I asked Uncle Google,and this is one of the 1st sites I found.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/epoxy-resins-and-hardeners

It is basically like a polyurethane or varnish finish,however it's well waterproof,as I said,we're now building aquariums out of it,and it holds water no problem. You can colour it,by adding special colourings,or leave it clear.

if you are trying to do it on a budget then epoxy wont hepl its really expensive id just use water based paint its all good once its cured

Yer it seems a but to expensive for me and i don't really need some thing the heavy duty, but thank you for the idea, will definitely use it in the future for something :D

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers guys getting so close how :happy1:

Finished 3rd and final coat of paint on the ceiling today and got the ceiling light on.

DSCF1914.jpg

And started yesterday the bit id not been looking forward to, digging the 8m by 600mm deep trench for the power cable and water pipe. but all done now, and i managed to get a small amount of underground "warning electric cable below" tape off someone for free, witch saved me buying a silly amount.

DSCF1911.jpg

DSCF1912.jpg

DSCF1913.jpg

I also put the rubber door seals on both of the doors.

All that's left now is:

-Buy and fix timer (for the daytime light power points

-Buy a RCD for the original tool shed to connect up the new shed

-Paint the architraves.

-Build some steps and a veranda thing to keep the rain off the door

-There is a piece of barge flashing still need to be put on too

-My uncle needs to come out and connect up the power cable to the old switchboard and check my wiring skills

• 1 month later...

Have done to much but pretty much there

-Power is connected (which is great better than the extension lead i was running)

-Sinks in

-thermostats in and working in both rooms might have to ungrade extraction fan for the summer but an able to keep the room at the right temp

DSCF1926.jpg

DSCF1925.jpg

DSCF1923.jpg

DSCF1924.jpg

• 3 weeks later...