New Reptile Room

Jason22

So my part of the gauge is now been taken over by other stuff, so have started to build my own Reptile Room

it going to be 4.3x2.3m and divided into two rooms so i can have the option to heat one or both.

Its going to be insulated and have some sort of ventilation (have not decided yet probably two wall fans)

it is going to be a bit of a slow process because there is only me and by the time i get back from teck i only get about 1.5 hours light a day to do something.

DSCF1808.jpg

subfloor framing and expol are finished

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yer it great to be making progress, too many months of thinking lol. good to be out of the cold shed, was not doing wonders for the power bill running 6 locusts enclosures. in winter i had to get up to 150W spots in each one.

im getting all the materials cheap from discount building supplies so only going to cost $1800 for all wood, ply, insulation.

just going to use 90x45 wall framing so that will give me abit of room for insulation, would have liked to build the eternal wall out of 140x45 but that would have eaten in to my wallet and the floor space to much.

yep 12mm h3.2 ply on the floor and 7mm for the external cladding.

sheet bracing, the external cladding is going to be ply sheets.

Not a bad idea about a sky light will have a think about it.

ive bought a wall extractor fan to help with the ventilation but i'm not shore what way i want to put it, do i want to blow the old air out or suck new air in???

wont be able to do much for the next few days as im having eye surgery :cry::cry:

Thanks for the input guys

ply is probably the cheapest way to go! are you just going to paint it or seal it? will you be having any windows other than maybe a sky light? IS the extractor going to be setup to a thermostat to automatically run when too hot? If not i probably wouldnt bother, an open door can have the same effect, if its just going to be on a switch when your there to turn it on then it woud be cheaper just to open the door and let in some breeze, maybe just a single ossilating fan installed in a top corner to keep tempretures even through the room/rooms?

This thread has made me seriously consider building a new fishroom! would have to wait till after december when i move anyway, but may start planning :)

maybe a thermostat attached to a pc that texts your phone when the room is getting too hot :P

this is something i would do lol

Natural lighting is gonna save you on artificial lighting and just make the rooms brighter and your creatures happier in general, i think for the price (depending on building recyclers in your area), and considering it looks like you know what your doing, a sky light could be key!

ply is probably the cheapest way to go! are you just going to paint it or seal it? will you be having any windows other than maybe a sky light? IS the extractor going to be setup to a thermostat to automatically run when too hot? If not i probably wouldnt bother, an open door can have the same effect, if its just going to be on a switch when your there to turn it on then it woud be cheaper just to open the door and let in some breeze, maybe just a single ossilating fan installed in a top corner to keep tempretures even through the room/rooms?

This thread has made me seriously consider building a new fishroom! would have to wait till after december when i move anyway, but may start planning :)

Yer have already bought the ply i got it cheap ($30 for a h3.2 2.7x1.2). yer will paint the ply. decided not to add any windows. will run the extractor fan on a thermostat to stop over heating and a timer so i will get a bit of a air change daily as i find the locusts need a change of air to prevent fungi infections.

was going to have a little portable fan inside just to even out the heat.

maybe a thermostat attached to a pc that texts your phone when the room is getting too hot :P

this is something i would do lol

a good idea but how much do you think it would cost lol

Natural lighting is gonna save you on artificial lighting and just make the rooms brighter and your creatures happier in general, i think for the price (depending on building recyclers in your area), and considering it looks like you know what your doing, a sky light could be key!

i would still need to run all the same in tank lighting e.g. basking lamp and uv, as uv does not travel through glass or plastic. because the roof pitch is quite flat it might be hard to weather tight the sky light,

looks like i know what im doing lol thanks but this is my first time building anything structual lol, all ive doe is 1 day a week work experance for a builder for 1.5 years and i am half way through my pre trades building course a wintec

found this interesting reading "With the new acrylic roof I got from Germany that let's all the UV (ultra-violet light) through, I'm getting a 90% survival rate rather than a 90% failure." http://www.orokonui.org.nz/newsdetails.php?newsID=49

cheaper to get some uv tubes i bet

would be great for a large outside enclosure you would get shelter as well as useful light. but would not be to good at insulating though. but still very interesting. good to hear that the tuataras are liking it

Can pick up a stone age desktop that would do the job for prolly $100 from somewhere, i Just got a new laptop 2.3ghz, 4gig ddr3, dvd writer, 1 gig graphics, 500gig HD 15" display, nothing super great, but sweet for my studies for $500, brand new, all you really need is something along the lines of a p2 even a pentium classic could do the trick haha, just remember a pc is going to add heat, go to jaykar and pick a thermostat to install in your pc, last time i was there they were about $30 then you just need an app that tells ur pc to notify you of tempretures through email to your phone, lol of course ive never done this before and im sure if i did i would run into some kind of snags

Thats a pretty sweet deal, I started building straight out of 7th form, i was 17. I do a bit of subing now, thats how you make the real money! but have gone back to tech recently to study for the next year or so and sussed a very high paying part time job doing security 2 days a week haha so im just cruising atm, only really doing building when family or friends needs it, or if a decent job comes up, to hard to be a full time builder and a full time studier! was never keen to open my BCITO books after a day at work ae

if its h3 you don't hafto paint it, but i guess it'd look a lot nicer, your doing a great job, maybe just slighty over enginered, but better to be safe than sorry when it comes to our pets!

It wouldn't be to hard to put in a skylight, have you done flashings before? infact its better that it is on a pitch because you will have run off, rather than water sitting around causeing problems, plenty of silicone! what are you going to use for roofing?

There is only 100mm slope over the 2.4 roof. i got some nice clean second hand iron off my granddad.

i wonder if you can get a wireless thermostat because we have wireless inside and might be able to use the main computer.

for the electrical wire we have a secondary fuse box in the tool shed close by, so I thought i would increase a outlet on that to like a 100A and run a cable to the room with a another secondary fuse box (like a 4 way)

and have the:

-room lights, extractor fan on one circuit

-A set on plugs that will be normally powered on a second circuit

-A set of plugs that will be on a timer (for day lights) on a 3rd circuit

-and a spare

ALL DONE BY SOMEONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING OF COURSE