how llong do i leave lights on without feeding water dragons

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why would you want to do that? are you trying to hibernate them? if your up in Auckland then you will need more than a fan to reduce the temps to about 5-7 degrees.

You dont need to hibernate them, it just causes them ALLOT of unneeded stress and if your new to reptile keeping them i strongly advise against it.

If you must then stop feeding them for two weeks before lowering the temps, this allows them to pass any food in their gut to stop it rooting in the track and causing infections. then reduce the temps down to around 5-7 and give them depending on the size of the dragon at least 30cm of soil/peat/clay/sand to bury into.

if your water dragon is less than 3 years dont do it!!!

nothing to do with starving them?The cooler temps will have slowed them down to a level where they will not want to eat anyway?I hope this does not end in tears!!

If you slow them down to a level where they cant eat then it must be low enough for them to hibernate other wise their bodies are still regulating normally.

also you must not feed them 2 weeks prior to lowering the temps other wise food will rot in their track causing bacterial infections.

i wouldn't bother doing it. if you keep them in a tank with water that is heated than you wont be able to do that either.

why would you want to do that? are you trying to hibernate them? if your up in Auckland then you will need more than a fan to reduce the temps to about 5-7 degrees.

You dont need to hibernate them, it just causes them ALLOT of unneeded stress and if your new to reptile keeping them i strongly advise against it.

If you must then stop feeding them for two weeks before lowering the temps, this allows them to pass any food in their gut to stop it rooting in the track and causing infections. then reduce the temps down to around 5-7 and give them depending on the size of the dragon at least 30cm of soil/peat/clay/sand to bury into.

if your water dragon is less than 3 years dont do it!!!

funny that! iv got 4 month olds,16 month olds,3 year olds , 5 year olds n 8 year olds all doing it.... outside but.

funny that! iv got 4 month olds,16 month olds,3 year olds , 5 year olds n 8 year olds all doing it.... outside but.

why would you want to hibernate a 4 month and 16 month old water dragon? Just a unnecessary risk

In Australia water dragons are found naturally down in Victoria which is similiar to Auckland if not a little colder in winter, as long as they are able to keep dry while going through the dormant time over winter they are fine outdoor year round up here. lucky us aye!

hahaha great an once maf relise this its all over once again

blue tongues were flagged due to being live bearing and knee jerk reaction

do you not think that they already know that half the exotic reptiles here can brumate/hibernate outside in Auckland