The trouble with Platys

Hdoubleu

We are having a real problem with our platys - three dead last week. Now two in our tank (sunset ones) with their fins ripped to pieces and little white spots on them. Need to know what to do about the white spots and fins and suggestions on who may be giving them a hard time.

We have Moon light Gouramis, Dwarf blue Gouramis, Neon and Rummynose tetras, red Wag Playts (which are fine apart from the dead one last week), Glass cats, Harlequin Rasbora and two brisltenoses. Who would beat up a poo little platy out of that lot?

How can we fix them?

Hmm looks like a fungal infection of some sort. Not whitespot. Whitespot looks like the fish has been sprinkled with salt.

Some gouramis can get nasty (especially at night when you aren't looking). Otherwise, perhaps it is a domination thing with another platy.

Perhaps it is being chased by something into, or through, a tight space and this is causing injuries on top of the head and to the fins. Fungus can be a secondary infection that grows on recent wounds.

I would separate it (float it in the tank in an ice cream container, bowl etc) and treat with a fungal med. These are available at pet shops.

It's a supplement for plants. Ignore my question if you don't use it.

How often do you change the water and how large is the tank? How many fish in it?

No we don't use it - should we be? We did get a bunch of average plants one time and too cheap to throw them away without giving thema go.

The tank is 165l and water change every weekend. We have a few too many fish but are getting a second tank on the weekend so will split them up. 5 gouramis, 5 platys, 5 rummy noses, 6 neons, 3 glass cats, 6 Rasboras, 2 bristlenoses.

Looks like columnaris (also called mouth fungus and saddleback)--treat with furan2 or sulpha drugs. You need to get the latter from a vet or furan from the local pet shop. It can be caused by more than one bacteria and often there are other secondary fungal and bacterial infections presnt as a result of the lesions formed in the beginning. Not always easy to cure but that is your best bet. Treat the whole tank.

A cheap bottle of Formalin is the cure. Follow the directions for use.

Sea salt will cure if only fungus.$1.80 a bag. Add a bit of Meth Blue.

The oldest fish mags I have from the late 60s & 70s state that Only potassium permanganate or Formalin will cure. Nothing els. If it is Columnaris.

I have not used any other products that has cured Columnaris :sage: This old timer just cracks me up. :rotf:

Furan 2 will kill your fish not long after use. Also causes cancer.

Best results I had was SEA SALT with Formalin or PP. A bit of meth blue to ease the fungus. Turn of the water flow.

Cured the problem when I brought it with my fish. Will also kill gill & fin worms.

Jenola out your tank and every thing in it but the fish. Re set your tank.