Drip overflow / Automatic water changer

blueether

I have finally got around to making an automatic water changer :)

made with a drip feed to the tank (second pic links to a video):

2011-04-17%2009.52.26.jpg

2011-04-17%2009.30.09.jpg

with an partial syphon (is that the correct term?) overflow:

2011-04-17%2009.29.29.jpg

2011-04-17%2009.28.57.jpg

2011-04-17%2009.53.23.jpg

at the moment it is running at about 15cc in 45 seconds, so about 28-30 l a day going into a 350-400 l tank.

Edit: just timed 200ml in 10min so that works out to 28.8 l/24h

And yes I know the glass needs a good clean :sick:

I'll be interested to see how it goes. I've spent many hours pondering the workings of such systems, and in my head it I always find it hard to imagine that such a small trickle in/out would be enough to have an effect on the water quality compared to changing the same total volume of water in bigger chunks once a day/week. Keep us updated!

What safeguard do you have if the siphon stops?

Safeguard? what's one of them? :roll:

Well there is about 70 of spare capacity in the tank, that should give 2 days of safety.

The silicon line came off the barbed fitting yesterday while I was out for a few hours, glad that that was outside the window.

That is nicely made, I could see that with two exit pipes on the outside section a lower one for feeding a sump and a higher one as an safety/overflow.

That would only help if the tube to the sump was blocked.. If the siphon stopped you would still be in trouble... A second overflow (as ryanjury suggested) would be the safest.

If you have seen the commercial ones they tend to have an air release tap thingy at the top of the upside down U so you could suck out any air that gathers up there. You have black corner bits there and can't see trapped air.

I have even seen ones on ebay that have a tiny waterpump that continuously pumps water (and any airbubbles that forms there) from the top of the U back down into the tank (much smaller flow than the syphon of course) just to prevent the syphon from accidentally stopping and overflowing the tank.

I would like to follow how this one goes though. Nice work!

I was thinking of drilling a hole in one of the top corners and attaching another barb fitting and running a 6mm airline across to the intake side of the CF1200 to pull any air bubbles out of the top of the siphon, it would also make the the whole think dead easy to start/restart.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the siphon system:

Added a barbed fitting to the top most section and attached to the inlet line of my cf1200 to pull any air out of the top of the siphon - looks to work a treat.

It blocked up lastnight/today at some point, blew air back through and out popped one of my bigger male Crain's bullies - quite dead :(

interested if there are issues with the set up

when id di mine, i hadm any issues and had to refine them. usually involvedflooding lol raptured hoses etc.

anyway, watch out tap pressure, thats inconsistent.

good luck, it took 3 months to have mine refined and continuous and effective

its a simple concept basd on irrigation systems

interested if there are issues with the set up

when id di mine, i hadm any issues and had to refine them. usually involvedflooding lol raptured hoses etc.

anyway, watch out tap pressure, thats inconsistent.

good luck, it took 3 months to have mine refined and continuous and effective

its a simple concept basd on irrigation systems

Gotta watch out for the rapture coming and taking your hoses to heaven...:)

If varying pressure is a problem maybe you could try something like a header tank with a float valve?