filters - internal Vs external

the new guy

Hi all.

I am currently looking for a new filter for my tropical tank and i currently have a external canister filter which isn't working very well at the moment. i have another filter i am going to use for a bit of flow in the tank which is a Haliea BT-200. i wouldnt use it as a primary filter because it did clog up when we used it in our goldfish tank.

i would like to get another canister filter, something not too expensive. the following i was looking at -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/F ... 589616.htm

or

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/F ... 559266.htm

i understand the first one is a cheap import by the look of it but as long as i works it would be fine???

i understand the first one is a cheap import by the look of it but as long as i works it would be fine???

Yep, but if it doesn't chances are you're not going to get anywhere near as much support as you would if you bought a quality product from a LFS....

The really cheap one should be ok. But I'd go with the Aqua One. Probably a CF1200 instead though. Can never have too big.:) And I've had 3 running for a couple years only time I've ever had a problem with one was when one wouldn't run properly due to having the intake hose connected to the outlet connection.:)

I agree aqua one seem to be the better of the cheap Chinese filters they have been around long enough to be proven reliable and also to make sure that you can actually get parts for them which is a good thing..

I know that HFF had a special on these for $132 for the CF1200 which is a bloody good price, it was a while ago but maybe they still have some or can do you a good deal?

I got an aqua one 2400 for $300 brand new :happy2: Only one issue, they didn't make it easy to get the top off it, you have to use a screwdriver and dig it into the plastic to lever it off

They are good filters, try leaving the outlet tap open so that it is not sealed when you try and pull the lid up, also lube the seals with some silicone grease and it should make it easier..

ive got one for sale real cheap($50), not sure where your from but have a look at my post in the for sale topic :bounce:

If you could figure out how much it would cost to get it down to Amberley(just north of Christchurch) i could consider it. if you add shipping and packaging to it it might just be worth me buying a new one from the LFS. :)

what type of external filter do you have now? name, model?

the brand is EHEIM, it looks to be about 15-20 years old possibly older. but it something that looks "real" without plastic covering all the goodies up. there is a picture of it in this forum viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51365

I have

1x fluval fx5

1x aqua one 2200

3x cf1200

2x cf100

1x cf700

1x cf500

3x 2213 eheims?

1x fluval 105

+ a sunsun (looks like the first pic you posted)

all are externals.

I have had problems with the cf1200's but that was when they first came out (3-4 years ago?) and there was a faulty part (crack in the tap on nearly all cf1200's in that batch) and also a small problem with the sun sun (a minute hole by the tap). Replacement parts were given to me without any issues for both brands of filters.

IMO - both the brands of filters you have listed work fine in my tanks. The sunsun is the easier to start and I suspect the seller is the same person I purchased it off.

Just make sure your filter can do a minimum of 4x the tank capacity in an hour, up to 10x makes keeping the tank maintained a lot easier.

fluval and eheim - always going to be more reliable.

I have a fluval 404 i have had it for years, and never had ANY problems, not even parts or even the rubber seal has not been replaced, still going strong.

they are awesome.

aqua one i hear is good, but what i find is that when you have cheaper chinese copies..... the plastic is not as good, its CRISPIER and more brittle.

the hose clamps are also weak and break easily. Eheim or Fluval.... do nto break, you have to go out of your way to break them!

fx5 is fantastic, im a fan, in fact i have 3!! 2x fluval (304 and 404) and a cheap chinese one that has broken many times and is there only because its 8 watts of power so i keep it running.

the build quality isnt that good on cheaper chinese copies.

you will notice the trays will not fit flush with each basket, or the fitting in side the canister just isnt that good.

you may think its irrelevant but if 10% of flow isnt directed correctly, thats 10% of performance.

i guess if you apply the:

V8 super car approach where you have a poorly built car, it does the job, goes fast but really not harnessing everythig you can out of a vehicle

OR Formula 1 approach where each horsepower is key, eash millisecond is key..... fluval and eheim is that. The trays fit well, flow may not be as dramatic say to cheaper chinese copies - but your filtration is better anyway.

go the better brand, you wont get support for getting cheaper online ones.

LFS make our hobby continue

I have a ehiem 2213 and I hate its basket and its slow flow. Real pain to clean.

I have 2x sunsun 1x aleas externals. I like the sun suns as they are easy to pull apart, easy to prime etc etc. The ehiem needs a good suck to get it going where as the other filters have a thing to manually start it without using your mouth.

Aqua one is better than sunsun etc but those sunsun ones are good value for money IMO

fluval 405 external goes really well but ive never had any issues with running internals anyway TBH I barely notice the difference an i run my 260l on internal an external.

my advice get some decent media for your external you wont regret it

also buyer beware if you buy any external on TM its probably to good to be true... I found out the hard way when I brought a good running order filter that really wasnt

My biggest complaint is they tend to be noisy if you don't have the water level right up to the lip. The constant sound of water does not relax me, it just makes me wanna pee! :-?

I have used AquaClears for years and all still have the original sponges (some over 10 years old)

I recently purchased a Millennium(?) but it did not last long. :(