Disaster strikes

Carlos & Siran

Aquarium keepers worse nightmare this morning, Siran came down at 6am this morning and the carpet in front of the Amazon tank was wet, and she could hear a drip drip drip, about 3 inches of water gone. Looks like a crack in the bottom.

Not sure if the bottom of these tanks can be repaired, will find out tonight when I get a chance to look.

If not, we'll be looking for a 300+ ltr tank and stand, We should be able to ship from Aucks or even the Waikato. If any one has something around that size in these areas that they're looking to sell, please PM us, thanks.

I know it won't make you feel better but actually that is not an aquarist's worst nightmare :wink:

At least you only lost 3" of water. When the base of my old tank went we woke up to 3" left in the tank. The rest had flooded the lounge, dining room, kitchen and was starting up the hallway! :-?

Have you somewhere to put the fish in the meantime?

Yeah, a bummer that would have been allright :( . I got the fish out and put them in the AR620, when Carlos got home for breakfast I was busy siphoning the water out with the help of Shea (2 year old) who was watering the driveway.

I can't seem to find any cracks anywhere, but until I have cleaned out the tank properly and fill it with water again to find out where it is coming from it will sit on the lawn.

The cochus and ottos seem okay :bounce: , at least we had a spare tank to chuck them in.

Yup, have just finished cleaning out tank and the seal along the back has let go :evil: . So that is the project for this week. Peel the old silicon off and redo along the inside back wall and probably the sides and front as well to be sure.

Will go down to the local river on Carlos' days off and try and find a nice piece of driftwood to stick back in there when its finished drying.

If the silicone has given out I would strongly suggest that you pull the whole tank apart and reglue it from scratch. If one part has given up the rest is probably about to and it may not be a small leak but a total collapse next time. Even without the inside fillet it should not leak so things are not right. It would only cost about $15 and some time.

• 4 weeks later...

HA! Caryl, I can top that. When my 950L tank broke the glass travelled across the garage and broke a second tank I lost over 1,000 guppies, insurance would not cover first tank or carpet on home contents. :an!gry

If the silicone has given out I would strongly suggest that you pull the whole tank apart and reglue it from scratch. If one part has given up the rest is probably about to and it may not be a small leak but a total collapse next time. Even without the inside fillet it should not leak so things are not right. It would only cost about $15 and some time.

+1

I would break the tank down remove all silicone and remake it. Better that than fixing the back and then the sides breaking the next week.

HA! Caryl, I can top that. When my 950L tank broke the glass travelled across the garage and broke a second tank I lost over 1,000 guppies, insurance would not cover first tank or carpet on home contents. :an!gry

I got cover for my tank when it broke, glass went everywhere aswell, I had carpet on concrete and then another bit of carpet overlapping onto the first piece - glass made it all the way to the concrete :o

Its really easy to reseal the tank just DON'T cut into the silicon thats between glass :sage:

I offer the opposite advice - make sure you strip it back to bare glass panes as the silicone between the panes needs to bond with the seal strip inside the tank. It's between the panes that holds the tank together which it hte bit you don't want letting go. The seal inside the tank just holds the water in.