plants to buy.

kut_s

does anyone have an excess of plants that they are willing to sell to me. im interested in any you have to offer. i live in auckland. im looking for a grass variety that will form a lawn on my gravel. any ideas on where to scout around for such plants since pet shops are too expensive.

kut_s

Hi Kuts, nice to see new members. Glad you could join us.

There's a link here in the Aquatic Section showing how to form a Riccia Carpet that you might be interested in.

Riccia is apparently available according to our plant list. (Click on twin fish at header of pages)

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

Have you considered Echinodorus tenelus?

It grows about 40-50mm tall with leaves 2-3mm wide. It looks pretty much like grass. You need a good iron rich substrate and quite strong light. CO² also helps a lot. It is a medium speed grower. It propogates by putting out runners under the gravel and a new plant will pop-up every 25-50mm. You will only need about 10-15 plants to start you off. It will take about 6 months to fully cover the bottom of your tank.

If you get stuck, I've got lots. I also have heaps of other Amazon type plants, some Crypts, some stem plants and a couple of exotics. I'm sure an acceptable price could be reached.

• 2 years later...

Hi Warren

I would love to buy some tenellus off you and also some taller plant for the back of a tank. Do you have any recommendations?

If you are willing to sell me some can you PM me please.

What should I use as an iron rich substrate?

Cheers

Jude

• 2 weeks later...

I moved in December last year and my tenelus is only just starting to really establish itself again. As soon as it really starts to take off I can give you some.

If you're in a real hurry for some, talk to Franz at Living Waters in Tauranga (if he's still around). He has many of the Amazon varieties. My original tenelus came from him.