what kills rabbits?

chilli

:( went out this avo to my rabbit area(free range been free range for 1yr) and 3 adult rabbits all dead

not one mark on them have lots of apple,plum,naches,grapes and fig trees that the rabbits can eat can these be poisonus

dont think was a stray cat as no marks and didnt hear any scream plus the dogs would have let me no, and no the dogs didnt get them there in differant area but can see throu fence

how does that Rabbit Disease affect them?

Datura is a plant that is horrendously toxic and it's consumption usually ends up in fatalities.

Check your area for that plant.

had a look couldnt see any anywhere(wouldnt if i had it been eaten) :dunno:

still have two younger rabbits and there mother so ill lock then up for awhile ans cross my fingers there ok

just to be sure sterilise everything that the dead rabbits may have come into contact with as calci virus is highly contagious also limit handling them as you yourself may be a carrier(dont worry you wont get sick) other animals and insects can also carry it its a nasty disease it takes about 7-14 days to kill them but you wont know until they drop dead as the signs are all internal you can also get your remaining rabbits vaccinated after that if they last 14 days then you will know they are ok a vet can autopsy them and tell quite quickly but if you dont make sure you either burn the bodies or bury them deep and far away from your other rabbits

:facepalm: not digging them up ,if the the others die then i could get a test but it wont bring the rabbits back

ill wait over winter and restock next spring

i love the rabbit area was nice to have a coffee and watch them hoping around and coming up for pats

just to be sure sterilise everything that the dead rabbits may have come into contact with as calci virus is highly contagious also limit handling them as you yourself may be a carrier(dont worry you wont get sick) other animals and insects can also carry it its a nasty disease it takes about 7-14 days to kill them but you wont know until they drop dead as the signs are all internal you can also get your remaining rabbits vaccinated after that if they last 14 days then you will know they are ok a vet can autopsy them and tell quite quickly but if you dont make sure you either burn the bodies or bury them deep and far away from your other rabbits

yip there deep ,thought of opening one up to check the liver(i think thats what one of the web pages said) but im not sure whats normal and whats not(not killing a healthy one to find out)

just told a friend and she said one of her rabbits dropped dead today so i say it is the calci virus

ill phone vet tomorrow to vacs the others (if there alive)

hmm i guess i will never no

wonder how many seeds they would need to eat

strange i lost 50% of rabbits on same day

How heavy were the rabbits? Say 5 kg? LD50(50% chance of death) of hydrogen cyanide, the toxin in apple seeds, for rabbits is 6 mg/kg. So if they're 5kg then that's 30mg of hydrogen cyanide. 10 grams of appleseed contain about 1 mg of hydrogen cyanide. So you'd need to feed each rabbit about 300 grams of apple seeds. Apple seeds weigh about 6grams per 100, so that's 5000 seeds. Apples have, on average 10 seeds each meaning 500 apples to contain enough cyanide for a 50% chance of killing a rabbit.

To dose 3 rabbits would take 1500 apples worth of seeds.

Have your rabbits eaten 1500 apples recently or did you harvest the seeds from 1500 apples and feed them to your rabbits?

How heavy were the rabbits? Say 5 kg? LD50(50% chance of death) of hydrogen cyanide, the toxin in apple seeds, for rabbits is 6 mg/kg. So if they're 5kg then that's 30mg of hydrogen cyanide. 10 grams of appleseed contain about 1 mg of hydrogen cyanide. So you'd need to feed each rabbit about 300 grams of apple seeds. Apple seeds weigh about 6grams per 100, so that's 5000 seeds. Apples have, on average 10 seeds each meaning 500 apples to contain enough cyanide for a 50% chance of killing a rabbit.

To dose 3 rabbits would take 1500 apples worth of seeds.

Have your rabbits eaten 1500 apples recently or did you harvest the seeds from 1500 apples and feed them to your rabbits?

wow you did some home work

id say the rabbits have had about 80 apples tops between them all,in a week

thanks for finding that out

the others are still alive :D

BTW, that would also require the seeds to be ground up into a fine powder, if they're not ground up they have too small of a surface area exposing it to stomach acids to release any cyanide. You'll just end up with lots of appleseed in their poop. Which is exactly the point of growing fruit around seeds. It would be stupid to kill the animals you want to spread your seed.

well my rabbit population is back up and maybe over taken

one of the mummy rabbits that died had babys down a hidden burrow and they dug out today

i spent hrs digging yesterday looking for nest with no luck

baby rabbits popped up some where completly differant from burrow entrance

managed to catch two save one from cat and i think there is one more :happy1:

that was todays good luck

bad luck is partner has crushed the cartlage in his knee and can hardly move(might be at hospital tomorrow)

:dead%fish

my rabbits are goners :(

another died, vet confurmed its the virus also said the vacs wont save the others if they have it

ill wait till babys are a little older and hopefully alive get them vac

a friend that lives 5mins away has lost all her rabbits too with in two days

i was going to go to the pet store today but i guess i need to stay away from all the little bunnies

ill need to do abit of study and find out how the virus gets around(maybe from my duck that flys away but comes home at night)

bad luck always seems to hit us hard when we get it

but my saying always is"Well it could of been worse"

how old are the youngsters

if its calci the young may survive it

My understanding is pretty limited but I think the younger ones become carriers instead of being killed. If you do nothing else, when you restock just start with one new bunny, if they others are carriers at least you won't wipe out a whole new bunch.

from here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_hae ... ic_disease

Had the disease been introduced at a better time, there would have been a more effective control of the population. Unfortunately, it was released after breeding had commenced for the season, and rabbits under 2 weeks old at the time of the introduction were immune to the disease. These young rabbits were therefore able to continue to grow and breed back up. Ten years on, rabbit populations (in the Mackenzie Basin in particular) are beginning to reach near plague proportions once again though thay have not yet returned to pre RCD levels.

i have left a 18mth old her 4 mth old daughter(boy died yesterday)

and two tiny ones that look around 2-3 wks old from a mother that died first

so hope they live

i did want less over winter but not like this :(

my garden seems so EMPTY with only two rabbits in it

flies can spread it

give it a month it will be gone

babies under 2 possibly 4 weeks will survive

:tears: babys died today

thats 8 out of 9 rabbits gone

must be an out break had 3 more familys tell me there rabbits have died in the last 2 weeks

are yours ok livingart?