phoenix44

I think the world will eventually come to an end.

But when is anybody's guess.. and a guess is all it is. Why worry, just get on with life.

If the recent disasters are frightening people, even if just a little. I say take a look at your life and make every day with loved ones more meaningful. Saying goodbye before leaving for work instead of just disappearing out the door. Settling arguments sooner rather than later. Even sucking it up sometimes to re-establish relationships that have gone sour. Get out there and enjoy life.

and of 2012:

the Mayan Calendar (The Long Count) ends in 2012 (13.0.0.0.0. in Long Count)

This is actually where the 2012 date comes from. The Mayans were astute observers of astronomical events, but this has no bearing on whether or not they could predict the future. They did have several calendars, and one of them, the long count, according to one interpretation of it, does come to an end on December 21, 2012. There is little, if any, support from Mayan literature that massive catastrophes will occur on that date.

and the supposed lost manuscript of Nostradamus claims the end will come in 2012.

The so-called “lost” work of Nostradamus almost certainly has no historical connection to him. This would actually be a good thing if one was hoping for this work to contain accurate prophecies. Nostradamus was an occultist who made numerous false predictions

claims that scientific research says that the earth will be engulfed by the sun by 2012.

astrophysicist, Dr. Jason Lisle, stated, “There is absolutely no scientific basis for this whatsoever.” This is from a man whose doctoral thesis involved using the SOHO spacecraft to investigate motions on the surface of the sun as well as solar magnetism and subsurface weather.

NASA expert Dr. James Garvin says,

“We see absolutely no scientific evidence, no sign of any doomsday gloom or anything coming in 2012. We're well aware of the kind of threats that the movie depicts (2012 movie), but there's no possibility of those happening at the time.”

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will have my disaster pack ready, probably to late to start building a bomb shelter.

But if you did, that's another excuse to install another fish tank in the house! I mean, if you're hiding from all the bombs, what better way to relax and pass the next decade than watching fish? :happy1:

I just saw a scientific programme last night that said the sun had at least another 5 billion years left before it implodes, or explodes (can't remember which) so I think we are safe from sun problems ending the world.

I think I've seen that one, or one similar. Ended in 7 billion years by getting pulled into the sun.