Earthquake safety:Can't decide whether to sell up or not.

tinytawnykitten

Im sure this has been discussed a million times (please couldsomeone point me to the right discussion re how to secure your tank) on the forum but I just can't find it. I have decided to sell my 4ft tank cos it is just so heavy and dangerous in a quake and I have small children. I'd love some advice or opinions about this though. I don't really want to sell but I would just hate to be in a position where it tipped over in a quake, which could kill someone, or cracked. And if it did, it would just add a whole other level of problems to an already awful situation. I keep changing my mind every 5 minutes. My husband has suggestion a compromise of selling my tank and saving for a Red Sea Max which does appeal. He has also promised me a cat (he thinks I should sell). someone told me they think not too many people lost large tanks in the 22 Feb quake, it was more small tanks coming off tables etc. But my husband's work has an office in Christchurch and a very big heavy vault/safe which was bolted to the floor, tipped over. Any suggestions or help or people who wish to tell me what to do would be happily received!!!

Bad stuff happens sometimes, you can't protect yourself from everything.

Are you also thinking of selling your bookshelves, television, fridge etc for the same reasons? You could even remove the glass from your windows, take doors off their hinges so they don't get jammed, take down all your pictures...

I mean this gently and with respect: please don't panic yourself over unlikely future possibilities, you are only making the present more difficult for yourself.

Hugs.

I agree with Stella, you can do all you like to try and secure your tank but at the end of the day bad stuff happens.. You will have to worry about your TV, Chimney, windows, fridge or various other things in an earthquake of that size, is anyone aware of any deaths/injuries caused by fish tanks in the quake? Everyone even escaped from the commercial aquarium down down without injury.

If your tank is well designed (well braced correct thickness glass) and has a good solid stand (which I am pretty sure yours does because I think I know who made it and he over engineers everything) then you should be fine.

It should always be a consideration but it would be hard to live your life not having things you enjoy just in case.. I think if we thought of all the things that have injured/hurt/killed people in the past we would be wrapped in cotton wool and have empty houses.

But like I said to you despite all the above if it stops you from sleeping and really has you upset then it has to go because it is not worth the stress.

But I think you should keep it and enjoy and be proud of it, it looks awesome and I know how many years you have been working on sourcing descent fish for it.

I lost three small tanks in the garage when the stand (a writing desk) tipped over but a two story stand with 2 x 4 footers only spilled some water. I built them myself from 10mm glass with euro bracing and plastic (polycarbonate) lids. This has been the same for all shakes.

Agree with Stella, if you're going to do that you better go live in a windowless concrete bunker thats far enough inland to avoid a tsunami but not on any hills likely to crumble during an earthquake and well away from any volcanos.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best. If you're worried about it tipping over then put it on a lower stand to lower its centre of gravity, will be a better height for viewing sitting down too.

Agreed. I have a 4 foot tank and a 6 foot tank that have survived both big quakes with virtually no problems. Both have good thick glass, are braced very well, have a lip to keep the tanks from sliding and have heavy stands with a wide footprint.

I have lots of framed artwork and they all have proper hanging mechanisms. Not one even thought about coming off the wall in any of the 5,000 + quakes and aftershocks since September - although they keep going all crooked. :-?

Mine have the standard nail+bentmetal whassit, but are straight into the gib, not the internal framing.

(I gave up tapping away on walls when I figured my chances of successfully hitting a dwang were about as good as luck)

Good to hear yours stayed up. A couple of wads of blu-tac behind the lower corners should defy the crooked gods.