Near Death Experience

Joe

I got co2 hooked upto a 3way valve at night i just change which side the co2 comes out of an in morning i flick it back onto the tank feed

one of these

http://www.hollywoodfishfarm.co.nz/deta ... ve/m/1100/

i got it setup so 2 bottles join at each side then one of the 3 exits goes into a filter in tank, then simply just twist 2 of the valves an the co2 goes into the room instead of tank

let me know if you need pics to explain

this might have been covered earlier in the thread - and it's just my opinion - but since you spent so much effort getting the apistos, why risk them with any additives like CO2 or fertilizers?

I know you are only allowed a couple of tanks and you love plants as much/more than fish, but if I had expensive fish then I wouldn't be adding anything to the tanks that wasn't really needed... but then again I'm quite risk averse :lol:

I've always added CO2 to my tanks and I've never had any problems.

I think maybe if I got better lighting, like T5HO, then my plants would have more light to photosynthesis and will use up more CO2 and produce more oxygen so I won't really have to worry about this problem occuring in the future. And I think ferts will be a good investment.

I currently only have 100watts of T8 tubes on my tank at the moment :-? :lol:

how big is this tank? your dosing alot of co2 considering... on my 300L i use 2 bottles each with 1 cup of sugar an half a tablespoon of yeast(usually i do it like replace 1 bottle every weekend).although I havent been doing this lately due to earth quake. all im saying is you could cut back on the co2 until plants can catch upto the rate of growth an also 100w of lighting is alot is it not?

I've always added CO2 to my tanks and I've never had any problems.

I think maybe if I got better lighting, like T5HO, then my plants would have more light to photosynthesis and will use up more CO2 and produce more oxygen so I won't really have to worry about this problem occuring in the future. And I think ferts will be a good investment.

I currently only have 100watts of T8 tubes on my tank at the moment :-? :lol:

100w is quite a bit of light.... Ferts make the difference IMO, you will see unbelievable growth from your plants with the correct dosing. I would stay with your current set-up and get the fert routine sorted before upgrading to high powered lights.

BTW, glad your fish are o.k :wink:

It's good that your fish are ok.

This happened to me last year as well when the water flow / movement on the surface of the RHS of my tank was obstructed. Fish nearly died, but a quick water change in the middle of the night along with sorting the water movement out, and it's never happened again. Nor will it ever happen again :o

how big is this tank? your dosing alot of co2 considering... on my 300L i use 2 bottles each with 1 cup of sugar an half a tablespoon of yeast(usually i do it like replace 1 bottle every weekend).although I havent been doing this lately due to earth quake. all im saying is you could cut back on the co2 until plants can catch upto the rate of growth an also 100w of lighting is alot is it not?

My tank is 1000x300x500mm, approx. 150L, and it is chocca with plants!

Yes I do dose with Excel.

The thing I hate about DIY CO2 is that it can't be turned off at night :x

Otherwise it's great :)

Great to hear you saved your fish..

This is how I get around the issue regarding the co2 produced at night:

I also use DIY co2 but I have the air hose go into the filter chamber of an old Eheim internal filter where the co2 gets absorbed in the turbulent waterflow.

I have that filter on a timer so it stops an hour before lights go off and then during the night the co2 just slowly builds up inside the that filter and when it starts in the morning (1 hr before lights come on it slowly starts putting the co2 into the water again..

This way you don't loose the co2 produced at night and should the filter fill with too much co2 it will just start bubbling out of it and go to the surface.