The loaches, corydora & oto tank - movies from page 11

Sophia

he did a funny thing earlier. After I'd changed some of the water he swam up to the top of the tank, then went behind the heater and settled along the suction cup for a few mins. Like a snake laying along a branch. what a funny little fish. He has till 330pm and then he can go back to the group where hopefully he will be tempted to eat something.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Skinny is back 'home' now, I put him back after his 24 hours in hospital were up. He moves around a bit with the group but mostly rests against a piece of driftwood ouf of the current. I think he has nibbled at passing morsels but he isn't really eating. The other loaches mill around him, sit on him and nudge him etc.

He was still alive this morning which was a surprise.

Mr Skinny still alive! I thought he was dead. Prepared a clove oil bath for him to send him on his way but he had enough energy to wriggle away a number of times.

Another oddity this afternoon however, one of the other loaches has disappeared. Have taken out the filter, one of the woods, no dead fish, no carcass. I have looked all over the floor and nearby. There is one other wood to take out but as it is where Mr Skinny is I prefer to leave it till he has died. Or should I move it?

what has gotten into my fish :nilly:

:roll:

WHAT! I spent half an hour rootling around in the tank and couldn't find that loach and came here to post. I went back now to check again on the way elsewhere and it's back again!

He must have been in the other driftwood somewhere. Why the little..................... :an!gry

When I move them to their new tank I am going to investigate said hole once and for all

Oops, wrong topic..lol :oops: :nilly: (Not quite sure how I managed this) Its supposed to be in my Hospital Tank topic.Hi everyone. I want to thank you all for your reply,s. I havnt made my mind up yet as I have placed a bid on a tank in trademe. Its #393140042. will see how I get on with that one before I think about getting a hosp tank. It I am lucky enuf to get this tank I will use my two footer as a hosp tank till I can afford to get a smaller tank for my hosp tank. Eventually I want to have a Hosp Tank, a Quarantine Tank, and a Main 3 foot Tank and a 4 foot tank. I already have a 4 footer sitting in my garage but its in a state undone. ie, needs stripping down and resiliconed

So this weekend is Loacharama Moving House. The last of my new plants have arrived so will be swapping them to their new slightly larger tank. I will offend them significantly by putting them in a chilly bin while the move occurs but that's the price to pay for a bigger bedroom. Photographic update afterwards, before the crypts melt. :wave:

am having thoughts about moving my pygmies back in to this tank again after the move is done, then at least I can see them when they aren't hiding...

then I could use the tank in the garage for breeding something that will actually breed.

hmmm. 45 litres for 7 pygmies, 4 loaches, 7 rasbora and a shrimp... I daren't check the tank stocking calculator :facepalm:

'YOU SHOULD ADD MORE FILTRATION!' it said

So the tank is 53cm long (external) by 25cm high but I'm calling it 22-23 because of the substrate, and it's 33 from front to back. That makes it about 38-39 litres of water. After thinking some more I can't bring myself to put the cories in there as I'd still rather have more loaches, maybe get 3 more so there are 7.

I am dedicated to my loaches :slfg:

in other news, leaving the water to settle overnight has done nothing, I still can't see through so am going to put the filter in with filter wool instead of it's sponge and see if that sucks out more of the crap. this exercise is taking much longer than it should have and is messing up the lounge :an!gry

Just though I'd ask as I've got a similar set up to you, but mine are quite taken to going under the drift wood and hiding there...

how much lighting have you got in there? the loach book says they prefer subdued lighting, which is what mine have, though they are active at the shop and it's bright in there.

Tonight's update - no photos yet. The water was cloudy but workable this afternoon but by the time I'd finished was cloudy again. The filter wool had sucked up HEAPS of silt so have replaced it with another one. The original filter sponges are tucked away in a corner.

The cloudy water is quite cool as it looks very natural when occasionally a fish swims past but I will be glad when I can see inside again. Then I have to add more black sand and rocks which I will save doing till the weekend. Dear Crypts, please don't melt tooo much

Yep they do. Last night when they were moved from the chilly bin into the tank even though it was pretty cloudy they were all and the rasbora skimming about in the current like seals, it was very cute. I also have the current up to full bore while it cleans the silt so it's extra exciting for them. :gigl:

I've got mine in a 63 litre with a t8 15W and a reflector? I've changed my tank up a bit just a few days ago, putting a larger more interesting driftwood piece in there and they seem a little more active out in the open, although still ducking around all the plants. They like the crypts the best too...

am having thoughts about moving my pygmies back in to this tank again after the move is done, then at least I can see them when they aren't hiding...

then I could use the tank in the garage for breeding something that will actually breed.

hmmm. 45 litres for 7 pygmies, 4 loaches, 7 rasbora and a shrimp... I daren't check the tank stocking calculator :facepalm:

'YOU SHOULD ADD MORE FILTRATION!' it said

And you should see how much I've crammed into my tanks, poor things. :slfg: