Tank producers in the Auckland area???

KM

Does anybody know of someone in the Auckland area that makes good fish tanks that I can buy direct from?

I had a guy by the name of Greg put together my big fish tank for me, and I was very happy with the job he did, and the price was really good too. I believe he was located in the South Auckland area, but I have lost him contact details!!! :evil:

I want 4 - 6 three foot tanks made up for me. I am also interested to know where you would get one of those commercial stands that you see in petshops - the ones made of metal.

I'm useless at DIY, so that isn't a good option for me!

It may be best to get the stand first and then have the tanks made to fit the dimensions of the stand.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hey Mystic.. any help at all is appreciated.

I found Greg in the T&E last time, as he was selling some tanks he had made.

I wanted a 120cm x 70cm x 60cm tank, and all of the petshops I went to quoted me over $400, and that didn't include delivery!

He did it for less than half that and brought it to my home. I'm really annoyed at myself for losing his details!!! I also ended up having the stand made for me through a furniture shop and they made an awesome stand at about 60% of the quoted price from petshops, and it is far better quality, and exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately they are no longer in business so I can't get them to put a stand together for me.

Hi KM

Last week I saw what I thought was a fish shop/aquarium as I was driving past a block of shops on the Great North Rd before you get to Waikumete Hill - the shops are right next door to a large block of apartments that are being built. We stopped and went in to have a look but it was closed and it turned out to be someone who made (I think) and set-up fish tanks, it was called Fins. There was a note on the door saying the guy was out on a call and it gave his name & number but for the life of me I can't remember what it was, it might very well have been Greg.

It's not in the phone book or yellow pages but there is another Fins Fish Care Ltd in Grey Lynn so it might be a new branch of theirs.

Anyway, I think I'm going out that way tomorrow so if you want me to call in and check I'd be happy to.

There are a few tanks makers in the Yellow Pages under Aquariums & Supplies.

It is the same company. they moved from Grey Lynn to Kelston

So what happened to all their large tanks full of fish they had when I was there a few years ago? It didn't look like the new shop had any fish tanks of fish at all although I couldn't see out the back.

Hi Dawn

If you are out that way and it isn't a problem for you....that would be great!

I have passed the store myself a few times, and I once managed to get my partner to stop so I could have a look (he tolerates my hobby, but doesn't enourage it!) and the same note was in the door to say that they were all out!

If worst comes to worst, I go through the T&E again and call up any number that is in South Auckland in search of the elusive Greg!!!!! :D

:hail: from new zealand discus man.

hi ..to fins ..anyone got a correct location..??

to tanks..we are currently getting tanks made for discus and stock room.this order is 24 tanks 1.100 x 500 x 450 high.

already had others made..

there are other tank makers that we have had trouble with the glue being able to pick of inside and out but finger nail,have claim in to have replaced.

beware that many are so called tank makers,and not all rtv glues used are suitable for tanks..very easy to buy glass and glue ,your in business..but do you really know what your doing..

thats been the attude with the tanks for 20 years that i can recall..

i have posted about tanks and stands before ,and there blow up...!!

to buying..we can take orders for our man..could be collected from us..

im not going to say who..simple we have like 50 + tanks to come yet..

he can only make so many but could fit others in to our schedule..

there used to be Aeon.decor..still in yellow page..ph.5790491

see if still making stands..they used to make for us..cheers phill collis

If you are out that way and it isn't a problem for you....that would be great!

Yes I was out that way this morning so I stopped in - it was yet again closed but his sign was out on the footpath by the road so he must be there at some stage!

Anyway it turns out he's Jayme not Greg - phone 0275900660. If you ring him please ask him why he doesn't have anyone in his shop when he's not there, it's very frustrating. He's the closest shop to where I live and I WANT to see inside :evil:

Hi Dawn

Jamie is a female and she runs a tank maintenance business as well as the shop so may not be there alot. It is the closest shop to me as well and im sure that they would do well if they could have a person in the shop full time.

Let me know if you finally track them down.

Good luck

:hail: from new zealand discus man

to tanks..do you think we buy from shops when we get like 24 tanks per order..size of this batch 1100x500x450 high 6mm f/back. 10 or mm bases..lids and poly included..

you get prices and then ask us..!!

we now have 80 discus tanks ..180 to 300 liters and most are the bigger sizes..we were buying glass and my maker is cheaper than the glass purchases..delivered made to us..cheers phill collis

:hail: from new zealand discus man..

heat room.. with big air con unit..see our banner and go to web see some photos..more to follow..tanks will be about 140 when finished..

you cannot put heaters in these tanks unless you own you own power station..

air con is 3kw power used for 6.5kw of heat.on controler.set at 30c and only used at night in summer..when all tanks are in heat cost will be great reduced..to much air at the moment..cheers phill collis

:hail: from new zealand discus man..

Hi..yes we had the first true aquaruim manufacturing factory in ak..over 100 tanks a week up to 6 foot..but even back then one major shop would only buy if his police man tank maker part time could not supply..but we did them for 8 years..

very hard to be serious when thats the way wholsalers are treated..

we sold the tank business when our goldfish farm was up and making $$$.

within 3 months they closed down..

we now have a part time guy thats makes ours and can make to order..

like i said prices can be better than buying glass and already made..

we have just started a direct marketing programe to push discus and may even stock some tanks for sale..

teaching tank making..common sence if the main factor..

i did post engineers comments about glass and tank heights..cheers to all

phill collis

• 2 weeks later...

If you want a stand for multipule tanks then give Capital Racking in Greenmount, Auckland a call. They make free standing metal racking, adjustable shelves. I use it in my shop for tanks and other stuff. Costs about $60 for a 2.4m upright and $50 for a 1200mm shelf that is 450mm wide. That size shelf can hold abot 150kg. They make lots of different sizes.