How is the Southern Encounter Aquarium after the quake?

livingart

We got the kiwi out thanks to daves bravery once again, he also got the canterbury mudfish out to travis and is currently trying to keep the life support going but it may be a lost cause. I was cleaning an aquarium at the entrance when it hit and was knee deep in water evacuating people in the first few minutes before the first aftershook. we lost several tanks at first and many fish were on the floor but we were helpless to save most of them. the dome ontop of the building collapsed inward on the left hand side and more came down after the first aftershock. Im pretty proud that all the staff got everyone out without major injury considering the amount of water and broken acrylic/glass everywhere. As the phones are obviously playing up atm i cant really update on if we will survive this but realistically i cant see us being open in that building anytime soon if at all and unless power is restored and the building stablised its not gonna look good for the remaining fish as i doubt they will let us back on site but im sure dave is giving it his best as they couldnt stop him before. As for me i lost 14 tanks including my beloved 1200ltr and all but 3 fish so prty much my entire fishroom.

p.s anyone hiring a Aquarist :-(

Dave phoned me today. Hes getting the 6 turtles out and at least 4 are coming here... not sure where yet...

It sounds pretty grim..... he's still getting a few natives out as he can, but the building is not safe and is difficult to spend much time in there other then to get the generators going. Hes probably going to need to rehome some natives that are too big to release into the wild population...sorry I dont remember the name...started with k I think. Brains not very functional still. :tears:

yes kokupu. Would they be ok in my pond down the back? It had mud and liquifaction go in it, but its cleared today. It can get pretty warm on the top of pond, but bottom stays cold. Has blanket weed amongst all the O2 weed and a water lilly, lots of snails and mossie lavae. I know nothing about them so would that be OK? He could bring them when turts come tonite? Its in full sun tho, but could put the wooden outside table over it to provide shade?

yes, that pond would probably be fine. For the time being I imagine there is plenty of food (terrestrial and aquatic) for them to fend for themselves for a while. They may well start eating your meaty turtle food.

(May need a trap to fish them out again!)

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

:love:

Excellent! Hopefully they do OK out there :) ...... haha, I was just about to say its next to a tap and should I do a small water change, DOH! :facepalm:

I'm thinking I need to move the big fibreglass pond from outside into garage to take on the influx of large female turtles. So if anyone over next day or two has some time and muscles let me know. Its just getting too cold to put them straight into ponds and have them safe when they have come from 26 deg temps etc. Tho it may come to that yet. The fake grass has been removed from that pond so its no-where near as heavy as used to be, but still needs about 4 people...not me... to move it.