• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Still have 10 juveniles, but yesterday I noticed what I thought to be a small aggressive female in my main tank. She seemed to be guarding a pot, and sure enough there were eggs. There was no chance of the eggs or subsequent fry surviving long in this tank so I picked out the pot and eggs and placed them in a tank with the juveniles. I then placed her in the tank. She was frantic, searching for her lost eggs... she finally found them and is now looking after them and chasing off the juveniles... I have tried this in the past but the female has usually eaten the eggs... but time will tell, been a day and the eggs are still ok.

It's quite interesting to experiment with that sort of thing. I remember years ago I had a pair of agassizii and she always ate her eggs. Once I removed the eggs from her and put them back in the next day and she looked after them really well. After that she continued eating her eggs. Bit strange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...