Possible New Planted Project

Nymox

Been having a good time playing with gravel this afternoon, have man flu so kinda not too good for much else at the moment. The reason its only a possible project is I'm still deciding if I'm going to keep it or not, maybe start again with a different tank, get a nice new one made out of optiwhite, Anyway enough dribble. !drool:

Dimensions: 40x30x30

Filtration: Aqua One Clear View 100 (180L/hr)

Substrate is JBL novo basis plus, with black silica sand and daltons #2 propagating mix on top.

I will be buying Fluval Nano Pressurised Co2 Kit 20gm

So basically here is where I've run out of steam, just drawn a blank. I have no idea where I want to go with plants, so I'm not sure about lighting it either. (don't want to get high lighting then decide I want anubias, java fern and the like)

So I need inspiration and Ideas. Here is what I have now.

DSCF2930.jpg

DSCF2934.jpg

I tried to make it look like it was part of something much bigger rather then being made in a box, still need to build it up more in a few places. I think I have it back to front... :-?

Don't buy it!

You are 10 times better off DIYing it.

Actually more like 56.876 times better off DIYing it. And I hate almost all DIY things.

I know what you mean but I want to keep the work as minimal as possible, probably shouldn't bother with it at all but I love heavy planted tanks so much and have none at the moment.

Would Look good with a few nice dark, large, smoothish rocks and a small piece of dark driftwood.

That's where I'm having trouble too, it will be open top so the plants can grow out but I'm not sure what style driftwood to go for. I was thinking of some twiggy root bits but I see that a lot lately and wouldn't mind something different.

I just can't nail anything down right now. I just love how the gravel has turned out or I'd turf it.

yeah im with p44 , a diy co2 is cheaper and just as effective, also i would say he p44 knows wat hes talking about

That he does, when it comes to planted tank there are few that can match his talents. I've so had enough of sticky water and messing around with all that. Would rather have no co2 then mess with that again, as cheap and effective it is there are just too many things about it that annoy me lol.

I will have a look around at what I have tomorrow if I get time, I think there might be something that could work.

I was originally thinking the focus point could possibly be a plant, something really beautiful that grows out of the top and flowers, I have a sword at the moment doing that in the 8 foot tank, looks really good because its has a wild untamed sort of effect.

OK! lol forget the stupid fluval thing, I had no idea they are that bad.

I'm not using diy co2 under no circumstances, I'll dig out the sodastream bottle contraption or bite the bullet and order the adapter.

To clarify I have nothing against diy co2 or anyone who uses it, but as I've said I just don't like dealing with it, I've still got bottles of very very old mixture sitting out in the garage. Its a purely personal thing, DIY is great and Id encourage anyone to go for it, it works really well.

Ha ha I think you guys are giving me a little more credit than I am due!

Matt- The fluval CO2 units are not that bad. They are actually quite good. They are however horrendously expensive for what they are, and I can guarantee the same results on a suitable sized tank with DIY CO2.

I explored the option of putting a sodastream CO2 bottle on the Fluval units, but the thread size is completely different and that won't work.

If you look at ordering a professional unit, keep me in the loop. I might want one too, but it's not the regulators that are expensive, it's the CO2 bottles. Why do you have sticky messes with DIY? I use them on almost all my tanks, and It's clean as. I do go through a lot of sugar though, but that doesn't really hurt haha.

Been having a good time playing with gravel this afternoon, have man flu so kinda not too good for much else at the moment. The reason its only a possible project is I'm still deciding if I'm going to keep it or not, maybe start again with a different tank, get a nice new one made out of optiwhite, Anyway enough dribble. !drool:

Dimensions: 40x30x30

Filtration: Aqua One Clear View 100 (180L/hr)

Substrate is JBL novo basis plus, with black silica sand and daltons #2 propagating mix on top.

I will be buying Fluval Nano Pressurised Co2 Kit 20gm

So basically here is where I've run out of steam, just drawn a blank. I have no idea where I want to go with plants, so I'm not sure about lighting it either. (don't want to get high lighting then decide I want anubias, java fern and the like)

So I need inspiration and Ideas. Here is what I have now.

DSCF2930.jpg

DSCF2934.jpg

I tried to make it look like it was part of something much bigger rather then being made in a box, still need to build it up more in a few places. I think I have it back to front... :-?

Slope the back up as much as you can to create a sense of depth. Remember substrate does not keep shapes like you want it too, if you want to keep the patterns you have the best way is to use a clear plastic as a barrier between nutrient rich and aesthetic substrates.

A path wide at the front winding to a thin path at the rear is the classic way to give the illusion of scale.

Looking forward to hearing what your plant choice will be for your scape.

• 4 weeks later...

Its still going, plants are banged in anywhere, lots of different varieties and still adding more as I come across things a like. Fish are 20 neon tetra, 3 corydora (2 sterbai 1 julii) 1 male albino guppy and 1 dwarf rainbow fish. Taking out the guppy and rainbow fish tomorrow they were the cyclers.

DSCF2990.jpg

Probably too many tetra, as I want to add another 3 sterbai cories when I can find some at a reasonable price and perhaps an otto or 2.

I think you have been starring at your avatar for too long :lol:

Anyone want to have a crack at an id on those plants?

All i know is there is Ambulia, Dwarf Sag, Twisted Val, Rotala Rotundafolia. Still 2 sword plants I don't know, and the red ones.

the corydora on the bottom left of the picture looks like it's outside the tank or in front of the substrate!! :lol:

Thats becuase the bottom corner of the tank is out of shot, but the cory is swimming just above where the corner was cut off so there is no edge shown in front of him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
any update pics ... :happy1: :happy1:

Not unless you like algae lol, this whole new completely chemical free hippie fish keeping is harder then I thought lol. I will have pics within 2 weeks. There are lots and lots of plants thriving under the algae, 19 tetra and a few otto's.