Question Pleco breeding

Scottie841

I have a group of spotted BN that have decided to breed. The only problem I have is that the females will not fit in the bamboo caves I have.

What do other people use for their Plecos?

Bristlenose are ancistrus not plecos. :P

Use bigger caves, rock piles, wood piles, plants, PVC pipes, anything that gives them a place to hide should work.

Mine breed in bamboo caves.

If you cant find a bigger piece of bamboo a piece of pvc pipe with one end blocked off will do the trick.

Thanks. We have a couple of girls that wont fit in the caves you sent us so I will have to go get some PVC and hide it somewhere in the tank that cant be seen

drill a hole on a slight downward angle in some driftwood.

worked a treat for bns, gbas, abns and so on :D

I've heard that the inside of the wood will start to soften over time? The guy that told me so lost his adult L066 in the cave as his fins got stuck in the soft sides when he flared.

Maybe a more solid type of wood wouldn't soften inside?

I've heard that the inside of the wood will start to soften over time? The guy that told me so lost his adult L066 in the cave as his fins got stuck in the soft sides when he flared.

:dunno: first ive heard, anythings possible i suppose. i always try to use hardwood in tanks. bns struggle to eat native hardwoods. im pretty sure ive still got some of the bits of driftwood here in troughs, still in tact a couple of years on.

did the same for whiptails, only drilled right through the wood so they had open ended caves.

:dunno: first ive heard, anythings possible i suppose. i always try to use hardwood in tanks. bns struggle to eat native hardwoods. im pretty sure ive still got some of the bits of driftwood here in troughs, still in tact a couple of years on.

did the same for whiptails, only drilled right through the wood so they had open ended caves.

That like saying "what is a cat?" or saying that "a lion is not part of the cat family"

Not really. Plecostomus is a specific species, cat is used to cover an entire family(Felidae) of which Felis catus, the housecat, and panthera Leo, lions are part of. It's a bit more like calling cats, dogs, possums, foxes, racooons and any other fluffy 4 legged animals Canis Lupus. Canis Lupus being the grey wolf.

They have bred before but she must have gone in tail first as the eggs were rather close to the opening last time.

If they get to wrigglers we will move them, the cave and Dad into a smaller tank that just has guppies. They got to be free swimming last time, but haven't seen them for a little while now.