What filter?

fish_tank0311

I have a 250 Litre (4 foot) tank and have a filter in which says it is for 100-120 litres. i got this filter with the tank when i bought it so assumed it was of a reasonable size, but i found now that after a few days the filter is clogged and goes very slow. i dont know why this is happening but im guessing it is because the filter is too small for the tank. so i did some research and found that a filter should turnover 4-6 times the tanks volume in water per hour. Is it possible to get a filter of this size as a internal filter (not external) or a "hang on back" filter. And if its possible to get this kind of filter where can i get the cheapest possible (Im 14 and on a budget, ie. i have no job and survive on the money i make from breeding mollies and selling plants).

Otherwise if i am on the wrong track someone correct me on what im doing wrong. Thanks

I have a 250 Litre (4 foot) tank and have a filter in which says it is for 100-120 litres. i got this filter with the tank when i bought it so assumed it was of a reasonable size, but i found now that after a few days the filter is clogged and goes very slow. i dont know why this is happening but im guessing it is because the filter is too small for the tank. so i did some research and found that a filter should turnover 4-6 times the tanks volume in water per hour. Is it possible to get a filter of this size as a internal filter (not external) or a "hang on back" filter. And if its possible to get this kind of filter where can i get the cheapest possible (Im 14 and on a budget, ie. i have no job and survive on the money i make from breeding mollies and selling plants).

Otherwise if i am on the wrong track someone correct me on what im doing wrong. Thanks

CF1200.:)

I have 2 large black angelfish i think are black lace angels, about 2 years old i think (ready to breed they are laying heaps of eggs) 9 golden barbs. 1 fake flying fox. 1 small pleco only 5/6 cm. 2 blue gouramis, 1 small 1 and 1 which is a bit larger im guessing 1 is male 1 is female. and i REALLY want a black ghost knife fish. whats your opinions on this.

Have you read up on cycling and what filters actually do?

Use the existing filter for biological filtration and the bubble ones for mechanical.

Mmmmm the tanks been running for a year so its passed cycling but yes i know what cycling is all about. i have a 120 gallon marine tank and to be able to run one of those you need a lot of knowlegde about bacteria etc so the tank doesnt crash so yes i know lots a the cycling stages in a tank.

You have a 120g marine tank but you cant buy a filter? :-?

My point was i have the marine tank and 3 freshwater tanks equating up to 400 liters of freshwater to look after all on my money. yes i can buy a filter but i dont want to get a hardout expensive one. what filter media am i supposed to use ryan.

what brand filter are you using and what media do you have in it. What is the tank substrate and is the tank planted?

The l/h rating of a filter is when there is nothing impeding the flow ie when the filter is new!

The substrate is IMO .8 - 1cm rocks picked up from the side of the road and washed (dont worry i did it thoroghly and made sure it was fine to be in a fish tank) Yes there are lost of plants in the tank and have 2 large bits of driftwood in it. No the original media isnt in it, the media im using is soft and fluffy like wool. The filter is aqua one 104f maxi.

Yes, I would definitely say that the problem with your filter is the filter wool. A filter needs, at the least, the sponges and works much better if you can put in the correct media for its particular type. Sintered glass is what I mostly use and ceramic ...(can't remember what the word is). However if you do change it over do it carefully as the cycling will need to start all over again if you remove it all at once.

Yes, I would definitely say that the problem with your filter is the filter wool. A filter needs, at the least, the sponges and works much better if you can put in the correct media for its particular type. Sintered glass is what I mostly use and ceramic ...(can't remember what the word is). However if you do change it over do it carefully as the cycling will need to start all over again if you remove it all at once.

whoop ignore the above about the media - I've just googled your filter and found its an internal filter but its supposed to have foam in it, not wool.

Just buy a CF1200, they are the cheapie of the filter world, or save up for an Eheim @ $350+ or at least put the correct refills in the filter you have.

You've got a 120G marine but cant afford a basic filter, thats just crazy :o LMAO

Wow why dont you read my posts. I WAS SAYING I CAN AFFORD IT I JUST DONT WANT TO GO CRAZY BECAUSE I HAVE 4 FISH TANKS TO LOOK AFTER AND I ALSO NEED TO BUY CLOTHES AND HAVE PERSONAL MONEY FOR ENTERTAINMENT ETC AND I HAVE NO JOB!

Wow why dont you read my posts. I WAS SAYING I CAN AFFORD IT I JUST DONT WANT TO GO CRAZY BECAUSE I HAVE 4 FISH TANKS TO LOOK AFTER AND I ALSO NEED TO BUY CLOTHES AND HAVE PERSONAL MONEY FOR ENTERTAINMENT ETC AND I HAVE NO JOB!

/me pats fish_tank0311 on the back

Just ignore comments like that, if they LMAO because you want to save a few pennies they have more problems than you probably do.

If you can do the $130 for for a cf1200 it could be well worth it, or try the current one with media more suited to the job at hand.

/me pats fish_tank0311 on the back

Just ignore comments like that, if they LMAO because you want to save a few pennies they have more problems than you probably do.

If you can do the $130 for for a cf1200 it could be well worth it, or try the current one with media more suited to the job at hand.

Thank you. <3