Lovebird Diet

JarrenB

Have had my two masked lovebirds for a few weeks now...

But I think a better diet is in order. I feed them "parrot mix" (dried seeds), Fresh Spinage and as a treat a millet spray evry once and a while. I've tryed many vege's and fruits but they don't go near them.

There are many sites out there with what to feed and what not to feed but there is a lot of conflicting advice :nilly:

Any advice/help ...

Have had my two masked lovebirds for a few weeks now...

But I think a better diet is in order. I feed them "parrot mix" (dried seeds), Fresh Spinage and as a treat a millet spray evry once and a while. I've tryed many vege's and fruits but they don't go near them.

There are many sites out there with what to feed and what not to feed but there is a lot of conflicting advice :nilly:

Any advice/help ...

Pellets. Harrisons are one of the best. Minimal seeds! Also fruits and veggies.

Well said guys, I totally agree with everything said here. :hail:

Persist with offering new foods regardless of whether or not they are eaten. If you are having trouble getting them to accept the right foods, try the following:

1. Place the food cups up where the birds sit most of the time so that it is right under their noses.

2. Offer only fresh food every day (and remove old food daily)

3. Put a little bit of a favourite food on top of the 'proper' food

4. Eat food in front of the bird and make happy noises and happy faces, then offer some to the bird (they are social eaters and even if they don't seem to take notice, they will be making note of it for later)