Mmmmm, Earwig for dinner (Close up Spider Pics)

supasi

She is about to take the earwig for a nice walk down her hallway and wrap it up for later.

Her web has go so big now it covers the whole bottom of the setup. Looks like one big trampoline. As soon as an insect tries to crawl across it she races out to meet them.

nice shots

I need a macro lens

No Macro lens on that one

Caryl, It is a Tunnel Web ,Porrhothele antipodiana

Its about the size of an old 20c peice. Not including legs

The one Grant found is not likely to be one of these. They like dark damp places logs rocks etc.

It probably a sheetweb spider.

Right, I really do want a tunnelweb spider as a pet on my desk. Sounds fascinating and low-maintenance.

I found this thread from October last year which was slightly useful: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=44009&hilit=spider&start=90

So, is a 30x30cm cube tank ok?

There is a glass lid, but thinking of making a mesh one, unless glass is useful for keeping in moisture?

I assume not much is needed by way of substrate, the spider will make its own house. Maybe a little coarse soil and leaflitter? I think the ideal look would be mostly tunnel.

I assume moisture is important - the odd mist with a sprayer?

Any other tips?

:bounce:

Right, I really do want a tunnelweb spider as a pet on my desk. Sounds fascinating and low-maintenance.

I found this thread from October last year which was slightly useful: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=44009&hilit=spider&start=90

So, is a 30x30cm cube tank ok?

There is a glass lid, but thinking of making a mesh one, unless glass is useful for keeping in moisture?

I assume not much is needed by way of substrate, the spider will make its own house. Maybe a little coarse soil and leaflitter? I think the ideal look would be mostly tunnel.

I assume moisture is important - the odd mist with a sprayer?

Any other tips?

:bounce:

I will message you tonight Stella. I am at work at the moment.

I know where to get them from too.