Breeding Betta...

gagaforfish

Veil tails are nice in their own respect. But unless you want to hold onto that fish till it dies, best to go for other tail types :D

IDK why LPS buy VT's though. They could just get "fancy fighters", as my LPS puts it, and sell them for more

Also makes me wonder why they are bred? I personally would rather spawn a more valuable fish if its as easy as a cheaper one. Know what I mean?

I'm really pleased to see your blue plakat spawning Sam and he looks fantastic. I would breed vt in a flash but the age old problem is that while you can get pure vt males in the shops which have come in to the country there is no guarantee that the female you are buying from the shop is the same tail type. The last time I tried I ended up with spade tails so goodness knows what the female was but I would guess halfmoon.

The same goes with ct, I have never yet seen, myself, an imported ct female in the shop which means any around must have been bred locally :D

One thing to remember about breeding fighters is that potentially one spawn could give you 300 fry which means a lot of water changes, good food, tanks, time and money to get them to grow out unless you either want to stunt their growth or cull significantly. :D

All you guys with these nice fighters I get so jealous! I might go out looking for one today, but I doubt I'll find anything nice, just VT's or tiny fish that look like they need a decent feed. Would love to have a CT.

Sometimes you strike lucky! I bought a sad looking plakat as a female on sunday. With a few feedings he should look a lot nicer :D

Sometimes you strike lucky! I bought a sad looking plakat as a female on sunday. With a few feedings he should look a lot nicer :D

Thought about that but I think I would rather be patient and see if someone like Adrienne will sell me one some time, I've had a tank waiting for one for a while now :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

They arent used in shows anymore due to their aesymmetrical apperance. People are trying to bring them back and have even proposed a new standard for them.

VT is pretty much the 'natural' shape a traditional PKs fins would look if lengthened without all the selective breeding and editing that went on to produce the modern types.

They have long tail that arches and drops down. Ideally all three unpaired fins taper to a blunt point.

They have no more than 2 ray branching in their tail.

Heres the proposed standard.

http://www.bettas4all.nl/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6526

The caudal, dorsal and anal fins are quite long and pointed as opposed to a halfmoon

IMG_1581.jpg

orange-over-halfmoon.jpg