Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Reusing carbon

Featured Replies

It should be fine to remove it as soon as the blue is gone although I am more a fan of just water changing things out.. Just throw the carbon away it soaks up stuff and is no good after it has been used.

  • Author

thanks mate, thats what I thought, In the past I have just water changed out but thought I would try carbon, Honestly I have seen no difference in the fish doing it this way only thing is the water cleared up a little faster

There is a myth that baking carbon will released the absorbed material making it reusable. In actual fact a household oven wont be hot enough to do this and you will more likely start a fire.

  • Author

I'm cheap but sounds like to much hassle, I read somewhere that putting it in salt draws out the chemical but only read it once and I don't like to believe something I read on the internet until I see it in many different places.

is there any harm in leaving those little bags of carbon in the filter long term?

good media/better than nothing i would of thought?

I have read that when the active carbon is full it has a habit of dumping lots back into the water :dunno:

dont see how it could dump anything really. if it does, does it then rework? :lol:

once clogged surely thats it, now just a handy bag of media. unless some funky reaction goes on....

I don't *think* it does any harm to leave it in, I know of people who've had filters that came prestocked with it (think Aquaone tanks) who haven't changed it for very long periods with no obvious ill effects... But it won't be helping anyway, better to scrap it and put in a better media.

  • Author

I don't like the idea of leaving it in there, I do have some magicjet filters that are mainly just for flow and an addition to the bubble filters in my 200litre tanks used for breeding swords, guppies and holding the female bettas and barbs for conditioning. I removed the carbon area and until recently had nothing there but since have added ceramic noodles to go with the sponges wit, Also another wee filter I have had built in plastic cartridges until I removed them and they are the perfect size for 3 noodles to sit on each side. Like said above why not replace them with better media than adopt the "better than nothing" attitude, especially when there is a risk it could cause harm but releasing chemicals back into the water

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.