ZEOVIT

jetskisteve

Fay, i was just having you on.

I have no idea why you anemoe split. there are lots of reason why they split.

one reason that anemoes split is due to stress, I have had fellow hobbyist change tanks and the following day the anemoe split.

Here is a article that also thinks that one of the reasons they might have split is due too stress,

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/bubbletipanemones.htm

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me dumb if you like but I can't tell the difference when you are having me on, so please keep to the facts so I don't end up doing something to damage my reef tank.

Plus new comers to the hobby will be gettting totally confused

sorry, i thought i had a smiley face next to my comment,

And i am not saying there is anything wrong with your water quality, nitrate is almost below 10ppm which is fine for a leather tank and phostphates are a bit high , i consider under 1ppm for a soft coral tank to be ok.

can you give us some background?

do you use di or ro

how often do you feed

The other thing to sonsider is that you phostphate has been high for some time so the rocks would have absorbed a lot of phostphate, so it will take time to remove it.

Yes that's what Brendan said to.( Have to be patient)

have checked top up no phosphates

feeding twice a day and have sneaked up with the amount per feed trying to fatten up my sick fish( naughty girl)

Thats why I said it's hard to judge Zeovit, hope to sable things out from now on, will keep posted.

Sick fish has put on a bit of weight here's hoping( feeding well and comes out to sift sand again.) :D

Hi Fay, I'm not totally familiar with what you're doing and your system, however I would hazard a guess that dosing start twice daily will help, and turn off the skimmer for an hour when you dose bac and food, but no need when you dose start.

Seems to me your nutrients are way higher than should be expected at this time, wonder if your zeo rock is already exhausted and could use a change.

But start is the big Po4 killer, so dosing that twice daily may help. Just monitor the Po4 as when it does start to drop, if there is a sudden sharp drop to almost zero, can damage some of your livestock.

Also, are you cycling your reactor on 3 off 3? It is the anearobic stage that will really pull nutrients down.

Also people measure what they should dose by tank size. But really the nutrients are created by what we feed the tank, not how big the tank is. So if you have a big bioload and feed heavily, may need to look at treating as if a larger tank.

Hope that is some help, and that nobody going to kill me if I got it all wrong :D

Wasp;

Had a good talk with Brendan about all your suggestions, answer<> yes to all (Thanks for that.) So up start to twice a day, getting more rock posted

start changing monthly till things clean up and I bought a timer in town today to do the 3 on 3 off.

Just gone on to new carbon Brendan said the brand I was using tested possitive for phosphates, bit of a blow I used it all can't test it know running a test on new lot seems ok will check in morning.

Can't test the Hagen as I have no new stuff, it's all in the tank. I do have some of that bagged Jansens stuff which would be interesting

to test.

What's the procedure? Soak in water for a couple of days and then test the water?

No, can't point you to it, had a look around and cannot even remember where i posted it now.

However what I said was because both nitrate and phosphate can be limiting for bacteria, and part of the point of zeovit is to remove nitrate, running a Po4 absorber in addition to the zeovit could be counter productive as the combined effect may reduce phosphate so much it is limiting and may reduce bacterial ability to use nitrate, and other assorted nutrients.

That is my theory anyway, however the zeovit manufacturers may have other reasons I'm not aware of.

Has anyone used Po4 absorbers & zeovit? Not quite, but I used Salifert P Killer up until shortly before going zeovit.

Has anyone used zeovit without carbon? Yes, I did not use carbon the first couple of months or so, eventually did, simply because you are meant to, but IMO carbon is not really an important part of the system.

Others will have to answer about ozone & UV, I've never used those. However, in a strongly bacterial orientated system, both of those would obviously be counter productive.

No, can't point you to it, had a look around and cannot even remember where i posted it now.

That's all right. I have the same problem sometimes.

However what I said was because both nitrate and phosphate can be limiting for bacteria, and part of the point of zeovit is to remove nitrate, running a Po4 absorber in addition to the zeovit could be counter productive as the combined effect may reduce phosphate so much it is limiting and may reduce bacterial ability to use nitrate, and other assorted nutrients.

This won't happen. Why? Because you feed your tank, providing a source of phosphate. Combined with the fact that phosphate absorbers are not useful in removing organic phosphates. It is unlikely that phosphate will ever be limiting. All living things require phosphate to do what they do (ATP).

Layton, when you say it is unlikely phosphate will ever be limiting, I'll assume you mean to bacteria, as I think we both accept it can be limiting to algae.

In a typical reef tank, phosphate is unlikely to ever be limiting to bacteria, for the reasons you pointed out, and others. But in a zeovit system, it is possible that by overdosing some additives, bacteria can be induced to take available Po4 down to levels that are limiting for them.

This, by the way, is a situation that zeovit users attempt to avoid, as these low levels may cause RTN and other problems.

Any bacterial population will be limited by something, it will grow until it is. Some zeovit additives are designed to supply what bacteria need, minus what we are trying to remove from the tank such as nitrate and phosphate.

Now I know you're going to doubt a lot of that just on my say so. Is there someone in your part of the world using zeovit? How about invite yourself over, see what they do, and run a few phosphate tests on their tank after they have dosed specific things.

Oh - and look how clear the water is.

Just wondered why you asked those previous questions to any zeovit users? I feel you must have some theory about something, what is it?