animates in the albuny mega auckland centre are noobs

jarrodrussell

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could have at least explained it like that.

I find down here they are pretty clueless as well.

Some are okay. But most.. idk.

This is my point, when asked what type it was for them to reply with a baby discus is just ridiculous, What species of anything has a type called a " baby ........" If the staff member considers "baby discus" to be an answer to what TYPE it is then that person should not work with animals of any type

I buy all my stuff I need for my cat from animates, but when it comes to fish, I drive the extra few km's to Hollywoods Mt Roskill and its worth it even though its quite the trip just for food and filter wool. After the scare I had where I lost nearly half of my tank of fish and my beautiful bristlenose boy I just don't take any more chances. So no hate thread from me just my opinion about the fish part of it :-? and that is for Botany, not that you could not figure it out when you look at my location :wink:

I buy all my stuff I need for my cat from animates, but when it comes to fish, I drive the extra few km's to Hollywoods Mt Roskill and its worth it even though its quite the trip just for food and filter wool. After the scare I had where I lost nearly half of my tank of fish and my beautiful bristlenose boy I just don't take any more chances. So no hate thread from me just my opinion about the fish part of it :-? and that is for Botany, not that you could not figure it out when you look at my location :wink:

Are you assuming everyone in this forum lives in Auckland or knows where things are situated in Aucland, Typical! haha

Are you assuming everyone in this forum lives in Auckland or knows where things are situated in Aucland, Typical! haha

No I think the point was if you don't like to go some where else.

It's impossible to get all the Goats over the bridge without waking the troll.

It sucks there were dead fish. They shouldve been more onto it when people alerted them to their presence.

The fact is that Animates really is more of a cat/dog store, which is obvious in the way that every new successive store has a smaller fish section than the last. So don't expect much when your going into the newer stores. In saying that there really are some fantastic people in the business who know their stuff. Or more importantly don't know everything and will tell you when you've asked a question they don't know the answer to and don't want to lead you astray on.

I think it always pays to ask to see the fish person when you go into these shops. And if the store has no person with the expertise, go elsewhere.

Fish and aquariums probably make up a tiny part of that stores takings, and they therefore devote an appropriate amount of knowledgeable staff towards it. I bet if you asked about fluffy hybrid dogs you would have got a more thorough answer...

Yep, the figures I believe are something like this from memory:

Dog - 40%

Cat - 30%

Fish - 15%

Small animals -10%

Birds - 5%

If the fish was under $100 they might not know what it is but if it was over that they should know the colour.

If you want any store to get you discus you can ask and they can order the below from one of the lists:

Green Turquoise

Red Turquoise

Pigeon

Red Map

Blue Diamond

Marlboro Red

Red Carnation

Red Spotted Snakeskin

• 3 months later...