Syno Fry

Josh_S

Stripped one of my snow whites today and out pops a baby syno! (as well as 10 snow whites). I popped 3 synodontis multipunctatus in there a couple of months ago hoping for them to breed some day (definitely wasn't holding my breath though).

They are so big compared to the chichlids, mother fish could barely spit the fat fry out. Im guessing its had a good feed on snow white eggs and fry :roll:

Has anyone rased these? What to feed? Its all a bit of a shock, I'll keep you updated in Simon the syno's progress. :P

DSC02475.jpg

DSC02469.jpg

DSC02471.jpg

nice work, i don't believe this has happened to often in NZ.

here are some pics, you can see the syno fry attaching themselves to the eggs.

DSC_0202edit.jpg

DSC_0203edit.jpg

Did you raise these smidey? That is alot of synos, my little girly was chocka with one. Imagine if all those where in for two weeks. :o

Sweet will try shrimp pellets tomorrow. I don't know if its eaten yet. Ive tried a few types of nls pellets i have for other fish and it doesn't seem too interested.

Hopefully when my giraffes or livingstonis start breeding i can use them. Its just good to know that the cuckoos are keen to breed!

• 2 weeks later...
They are around 80 - 100 mm. Im not sure on age though. I got them off Kennith when he sold up to go oversees. I read that they dont breed till reaching maturity at 2 to 3 years old. :dunno:

Ive read similar but mine are just over 1.5yrs and close to 10cm and they are showing breeding behaviour. I have kept mine in a 800ltr tank and well feed their whole lives so they have grown quickly.

congrats! :hail: could you post some pics of the adults please :D im looking at getting some so its good to know that people are starting to get them breeding . :hail: what size tank do you have?

Ill try and get some pics of them when i get home.

I've stripped 3 more fish since simon the syno arrived but so far only cichlid eggs, but on a good note got my first lot of kadango eggs!

Baby syno had been on a diet of shrimp pellets, micro worms(dont know if he actually finds them as he is quite dense) and a few reject eggs from my egg tumbler.

At the moment there are 3 of them in my 450L 4footer. But these may get upgrade to my 800L 6footer when it is going. Hoping to go tangs :bounce: