Apisto Eunotus

supasi

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, Ryan they arrived.

I tried to take some photos last night but the female has moved them to the far corner where I can get a clear photo due to the algae on the glass.

The male seems to just ignore the babies and the female doesnt mind him being there. The babies are taking microworms and picking at stuff among the plants.

I gave the glas a bit of a clean(not too much as I didnt want to scare the fish)

Sorry bout the blurs. They are bits of algae still on the glass and the tank is a curved front so slightly distorts the images.

Mum is showing her nice golden colouration off. Half of the fry are among the substrate so are not visable unless moving

Aeunotusfry1.jpg

Fry in the background are feeding on the sponge filter. I just feed a bunch of microworms

AEunotuswithfry2.jpg

Aeunotusfemaleprotectingfry.jpg

Mum trying to scare me and the camera away.

:cry::cry::cry: Looked in the tank while feeding last night and it appears the number of fry has halved. Either she has eaten them or they are hiding in the tank somewhere.

It is just the female and the fry in the tank.

On another note the Male passed away yesterday. He was old so it was to be expexted. Luckily I still have his son to attempt another breeding with. Mother still looks healthy. :cry::cry::cry:

Sorry to hear about your loss.. Now is about the time you would expect the mum to start eating them (preparation for spawning again if the male isn't removed) or when the fry would get a little more independent and may start to wander so could be either one.. Sorry to hear about the male good work on the spare male though, sounds like she is a good mum so that is a great start.

Its hard to say. The tank glass is not the cleanest so its hard to see and the fry are the same colour as the sand.

The father was taken out a couple of days ago so I dont think the female is preparing to spawn again but who knows. I will attempt again in a bare bottom tank next time if these fry dont survive.

Fingers crossed the fry are still there just hiding from me.