Apisto Eunotus

supasi

There is some light at the end of the tunnel

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=50149&p=547549#p547549

They have been in my care for three days and have spawned already. Female is in her cave with eggs. Too early to say if they are viable at this point but the male is at the opposite end of the tank and Mum is guarding them.

Fingers crossed.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work Simon :hail::D :bounce: :happy2: :P !drool: :happy1:

Just a thought though, are there any other unrelated fish in NZ anywhere that can be mated with the fry from this pair? I'm not really a huge fan of line breeding. Look how it's turned out with discus - they need very precise care and high temperatures because their immune systems have been weakened from generations of fish being bred with their own parents, siblings and cousins. I would not like to see this happen with Apistos, especially with the few that we have in NZ.

I remember seeing a pair for sale early last year in Christchurch. I think they were at Animates or Petworld or something. So there may still be some out there somewhere floating around... hopefully.

Just out of interest, what species of Apistos do we have in NZ where there are a few different bloodlines around? I know there are quite a few Apisto. agassizii 'Double Red'. Any others?

Also, are Apisto. hongsloi in the same situation as the eunotus? If not I really want a pair of unrelated hongsloi for breeding.

Also, are Apisto. hongsloi in the same situation as the eunotus? If not I really want a pair of unrelated hongsloi for breeding.

Yes hongsloi are rare too. As has been mentioned before you really can't be so picky about these types of fish. We need to get what we're given and breed, breed, breed. Once there's a lot out there you can start mixing them up.

As above we have stuff all options in NZ so we have to inbreed, I would guarantee 99% of the stuff we get into the country (ie an entire batch) would probably be from very similar blood lines so unless we manage to get fish the from one import batch keep and breed them and then get the same fish (easier said that done) again from a later importer there wouldn't be any point. At the stage we are at in NZ we just have to get them breed and worry about genetics if there are issues down the line - beggers can't be choosers :)

I'm not being picky :D I just don't like the idea of line breeding. And it sounds icky too :lol: Imagine having kids with your cousin or sister :lol:

Can someone please explain to me everthing about line breeding so I know more about it? I've only been keeping fish for two or three years so I know next to nothing about all this breeding/genetics stuff, and my opinions are based on what I have seen/read in the time I have been keeping fish :D I've only ever bred three species of fish in my life.

I'm not being picky :D I just don't like the idea of line breeding. And it sounds icky too :lol: Imagine having kids with your cousin or sister :lol:

Can someone please explain to me everthing about line breeding so I know more about it? I've only been keeping fish for two or three years so I know next to nothing about all this breeding/genetics stuff, and my opinions are based on what I have seen/read in the time I have been keeping fish :D I've only ever bred three species of fish in my life.

its easy to explain

line breeding if it works

in breeding if it doesnt

end of story

lol

you dont like the idea?

how do you think every single species on the planet got specific traits that define those species

consider for a moment if you will that one theory sugests that every blonde in THE world can be traced back to one family in scandinavia

or if you doubt darwin that after the flood there was noah his wife their two sons and their wives

and that they are related to adam eve and their two sons...hmmmm dad the boys and mum....you work that out

well that about sums up line breeding

well i could have suggested that he read raymond opinhimers books about what would pass for a breeding programe but hey lets get real I mean it is nearly sat morning...lol

or mendles oft misquoted works on beans and peas and the what not

or axylrods work on geographic varients in "the" lake

but then I am not a genetics expert and I can hardly spell at the best of times let a lone type...lol

so line breeding is when you use a relative of your animal to "secure" a specific trait.

lets cal that a virtue

this might be as close as father daughter in some instances or cousins neice nephew so on.

it can work very well to secure those traits that are seen as virtues but with every generation "in" you increase the risk of non virtueous traits or faults.

so for example colour

you use a "flashy dog to a flashy bitch to get flashy pups.

virtue...you get chocolate box markings that make pups easy to sell

fault flash to flash means youmay get "white" pups with have a high incidence of genetic diseases such as herditary deafness or are more prone to cancer.

another example using dogs is a disease called avrc.

this is a disease that enlarges the heart causing....well...death

hetro positive=carier

homo positie= got it

negative= not got it

line breading would be where you used a realtive of you dog or bitch to create a litter that is all negative so that they could them be mated to produce further negative puppies in later generations...of course you need to test each pup and each generation if you use a homo or hetro positive dog to work which are carriers and which are positives.

hth

Basically, if there is only one male and one female of a species in the country---best to breed them and worry about the family tree later.

Many fish and reptiles live in colonies which are reasonably closely related. If there are a lot of members in the colony there is the chance of having a more diverse gene pool but with many colonies they can be quite closely related for many generations. Many colonies of native lizards remain in a very small geographic location and have interbred for probably centuries and each group will have developed slightly different characteristics only found in that group and a short distance away will be another slightly different colony. If kiilifish are in a small pool--which many are (the name killi is Dutch for a small pool) they have no chouice but to breed with their cuzzies. Haven't come across any yet that behave like Hillbillies. Met a few people that do.