Sunsun heaters

SamH

one of the more important pieces of equipment are heaters & IMO you will save yourself alot of hassle in the long run if you buy a decent brand to start with. I have no experience with Sunsun heaters, i have a sunsun tank & it is brilliant but i would buy a fluval or jager when it comes to heaters.

I have a fluval M 200W and it hasn't broken. I know luke lost a couple, but I don't think it's the norm for them to break.

Then again I first recommend the eheims/jagers to clients, friends and those who seek advice. The old fluvals are no longer available and so you basically choose between the M series and the E series. You don't want to buy an M unless looks are paramount to you. It is more expensive than the eheim and not worth it.

The E series is also great, but when you can get an eheim for the same price I don't get why you would buy one. It's blingy but I'd rather have an eheim.

Also I'd rather buy a second hand eheim over a new sunsun or aqone or other such brand.

Then again it's important for us to understand that for $18 it is quite implausible to get a jager or fluval or even a renaFor some the $18 risk-return trade off might be worth it.

i went down the road of buying cheap heaters, i bought 6 jebos when i first got bigger tanks. while they were working the tank temp would vary by 3 or 4 degrees before they would turn on. after two years they all pretty much failed within a couple of months. After the sometimes stressful times when they were working & the pain of having to replace them immediately when they failed i went for the jagers. since i started using them the temp only drops around 1 deg or less before they click on & they keep the tank to the temp i want it at. I know they will last for years longer than the jebos did, i have an old jager i estimate is around 7 years old & it still works perfectly. I am sure jagers have failed occasionally but recently i have heard of a few old green ones being sold, they must be 10 years plus old so that is a great sign.

And you just never know the sunsun heaters could be just as good as an eheim/jagar, it is very likely they are not but you just never know :)

they may well be, other equipment they produce is well designed & made with good quality materials. The tank i have has been brilliant, the hood is made with aluminium & screwed together with stainless steel screws. they allowed gaps for after market plumbing of a canister into the hood & the cabinet panels are wrapped with foil to help prevent water damage. i cannot find anything wrong with my tank & i have had it for around 4 years now.

i have had 2 jager heaters 50watts and ive had to replace them both in a year because water gets into them and burns them out

That doesn't sound right, they will have been under warranty anyway :-? The Jager has been re-made recently with the exclusion of the ceramic center and new dials.

Fluval or Eheim i dont see any other as worth consideration, it blows and your fish are dead.

Masterpet and scuba are brands I wouldn't buy again.

I think this is funny as I have an old master Pet one here which I have had for about 4 years. (I kid you not) and it is still going strong.

I am def not saying they are a good heater but it is one I bought a long time ago when I had no other option at the time and it is used on one of my small planted tanks. I am not sure about the temp, whether it is accurate or not, as it is in my fish room and I dont have a thermometer in the tank. I wouldnt buy another but I thought I would just mention it. :lol:

I have had a lot of success with Aqua One heaters.

I think this is funny as I have an old master Pet one here which I have had for about 4 years. (I kid you not) and it is still going strong.

I am def not saying they are a good heater but it is one I bought a long time ago when I had no other option at the time and it is used on one of my small planted tanks. I am not sure about the temp, whether it is accurate or not, as it is in my fish room and I dont have a thermometer in the tank. I wouldnt buy another but I thought I would just mention it. :lol:

I have had a lot of success with Aqua One heaters.

4 years shouldn't be something to be impressed by.

the reason i only use jagers is that the heaters that don't cost much could cost me a huge amount of money & time in the long run. if one that was in my main tank fails i would loose 25 adult tropheus, 8 juvies & 3 altos. the financial cost of the tropheus would be around $600 to get tropheus fry which would take a couple of years to grow to what i have now & i doubt i would find any altos for sale at all & i would hate to think what their price would be if there were some available. if adult colonies were for sale their price would e much more than $20 each.

the jagers could fail but are far less likely to & will certainly last longer than jebos, aquaone or masterpet so the initial cost makes me sleep a lot easier at night.

• 4 weeks later...