new toy dont know which way to go

anthony law

on monday i pick up a 720 liter tank and stand :love: in my haveing a hard :nilly:

time thinking what to put in this it will be running a sump...

as tanks ive got setup

one 2800 lite rogue tank

one 900 liter planted com tank

one 600 liter marine tank f/o

im set up a 660 liter reef tank

what do you guys think i should make it into

a marine or a cichlid or ........

or...what do you guys think i should do with it... :hail: :nilly:

ryan wrote...

You have to have an african tank at some stage, 720L would be awesome.. A big hap tank, or tropheus or even fronts

if i was going to the african hap side how many diffent spieces of haps can i get in there and what grouping do you reckmean 5 of each colour.....

steila

if i was to go native who got native fish i can get off....

you can put heaps of africans in a tank that size.

depends if you want to breed tho or if you want colour that matches any marine

you could go all male and have dozens of colours kicking around

you could go speices only and pick a colour?shape?make...could be central south american or any african

Native you catch em yourself or speak to other native keepers

Sky is limit

plant it up and have rainbows

rock it up and look at brown haps or fryeri or marleri golds and the list goes on

if i was to go native who got native fish i can get off....

Catch your own, adds to the fun and excitement, and you never know what you will come back with :D

Currently in my native tank I have

~15 smelt - just love the way they school and the iridescent colours that they reflect when the light catches them

~8 inanga - still waiting to catch some other galaxiid, a Banded Kokopu or two would be nice

~8 common/Crain's bullies

2 red fin bullies

2 koura

1 torrent fish

all caught within 100m except the two red fins

If you were going africans the haps would be the way to go.. I would do 6-10 of D comp, electra, giraffes, kadango, taiwan reef and you could do livingstonii/polystigs as well. Maybe add 20 or so yellows to put some yellow in the tank for something different, it would be awesome.

All of the fish except the polystig/taiwan reefs (although I already have a spawn of these growing out so others should as well) should be easily and cheaply available from breeders I know I have and could breed the first 5 on my list anyway.

a tanganyikan tank

tropheus duboisi

tropheus moliro or pemba

neolamprologus leleupi

neolamprologus brchardi

lamprologus ocellatus gold shellies

& maybe alto comps or similar but they may eat the shellies when adults. It will take years for them to become adults though.

then add a gold nugget or similar depending on your water parameters. 8)

You can stick alot of fish in there providing you have the filtration to back it up, my 540L looked like this at one stage.. http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f183/ ... 00x600.jpg and still has a heap of fish in it.

Male only would be awesome but you have the issue of sourcing all the males and getting it to balance, you have the advantage of a nice big tank which will help. Ideally it would work best if you could source 2-3 males of each type you liked at the same size and add them all together adding a heap of fish at once so they hopefully sort themselves out.

It really depends what you want to get out of it and what you like, I love the tropheus don't get me wrong, but they are expensive, slow growing and can just all turn over and die. In a 720L tank to actually do it justice you would want to buy at least 30-40 tropheus otherwise you would have an empty tank even once they grew up, and if you wanted to breed up more then you would have to be patient enough to do so. The haps are cheap extremely hardy and easy to source breed etc, I know most people who walk into my fish room comment on how awesome the big male giraffe is but not many notice the tropheus although I prefer the ikola more..

Cost depends on what you want, males or bigger fish go for more but smaller fish to grow out are pretty cheap you could grow them out see what you like and thin out females as you go, things like dolphins/yellows look good in a group of males/females so could probably be left alone.

Yeah they are cool too :) Really depends what you want, with the americans you tend to have lower stocking levels because of their aggression but the fish are pretty cool. I prefer a whole wall of colour coming up to meet me and being busy and looking awesome which is why I do and suggest the africans, others may prefer more subtle looks or even those big bland monster fish :) :)

NAtive fish are available for sale at some pet shops, more likely up your way. But going hunting for them yourself is so much fun, and give you great ideas for biotopes, as you get to see where the fish live and how the streams work.

Indeed, aside from the aquarium equipment, everything that goes in your tank can be free from the stream ;)

A tank that size would be awesome for natives - the huge volume would really buffer the temperature keeping things more stable, and presumably there is a huge ground area !drool: