Adrienne!

phoenix44

Estimative index dosing. It is Tom Barr's theory about not limiting plant growth through adding excess nutrients to the water column. Can be used for high tech or low tech tanks. I can hook you up with a cheap and very effective fert regime if you like. 8)

If you have questions just let me know. :wink: I can simplify it a bit for you in terms of dosages and the exact fertilisers that you need to put in. To determine dosages, the main thing to consider is how much light you have. You also need to consider carbon (liquid or CO2) as a nutrient (although with low tech tanks this will take on a very different approach from adding carbon to the tank).

To put it very very simply - you basically overdose on micro and macro ferts. (I personally didn't overdose on macros for a couple of reasons).

Because your plants will reach an equilibrium with the lights, ferts and CO2 - their growth won't be limited by the ferts. If you add the right amount of CO2 - that won't be a limiting factor either.

Only thing left is light. With just the right amount of light your plants will grow in equilibrium with ferts and CO2. Too little light and the plants won't use up all the ferts and CO2. Too much light (rare) and you'll increase the amount of ferts and CO2 - but this is the most unlikely scenario.

When you have (this is how I explain it) "A crap load of ferts in the water, the plants will outcompete the algae, and you won't have any algae). You want to add all the possible micro ferts as an imbalance of ferts can cause an algae bloom; but the likelyhood of an algal bloom diminishes as you increase light and CO2".

Then adding macros is another layer on the top. Jen knows her macros better than I do, and I know my micros :lol:

-Comprehensive for one is a micro fert.

Hi Jen, we'd be very interested in hearing about this plan, with my limited google skills I was unable to locate the plan itself, just people talking about it.

Thank you for you time.

Sure, no problem. :wink: I made a new post that starts to explain some of this, click here.