Classroom tank

lf

Hi

I am hoping to set up a small classroom tank to show my children what lives in the local streams. It is only going to be for about 10 weeks and will all go back into my stream.

I am wondering what I can put in it.

I have two spare AR126 tanks to use. Room has air con.

Would love to have a koura in one tank, but not sure if this is a good idea due to the size of the tank.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am hoping to set it up in the next two weeks so that it is looking good for the start of term.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

What are the actual dimensions of the tank?

When keeping natives, there are two critical measurements: ground area and volume.

They are (mostly) not mid-water swimming, so need a large ground area, and a larger volume means a more stable temperature.

If you are stuck with a small tank, what about doing a critter tank? There are a few threads here now about doing pond-critter tanks, or you could do a stream critter tank. Kids love bug and these tanks are seriously fascinating. With the stream-critter tank, you can also add in lessons about metamorphosis etc, watching the mayflies hatch, how things breathe underwater, food webs.

With the air con, is this also on during the weekend? Afternoons? 18 degrees would be fine. Get a thermometer that logs the maximum and minimum temperatures and leave it for a week.

You want the tank for 10 weeks, is this to fit with a specific topic or something? If you have more freedom it could be great to do a critter tank in the summer months, then convert it to fish during winter. One advantage is that it will be somewhat established before the fish arrive.

Include the kids in the setting up of the tank - take them to a stream, give them nets, buckets and tell them how to catch things.

Waterlogged does have a point though: technically you do need a permit to release fish, including putting native ones back to where they came from. I suggest you talk to your local DOC office.